Sunday, June 19, 2005

Century or half ironman?

St. Michaels centuryScheduling this fall is getting harder than I thought! I'd like to do a cycling century (100-mile one-day ride) this year, just to see if an Ironman distance race (112 mile bike leg) is even feasible for This Old Body, and I just learned of a great contender - a century that departs about a half block from my house in St. Michaels on September 10th.

That's also the weekend of one of the half ironman triathlons that I was thinking about for this fall, too, however - Diamondman in Delaware. I guess these priorities will take some thinking about.

Seagull CenturyThere's also a great flat century on October 8th starting about an hour's drive away from me, too: the Seagull Century which starts in Salisbury, Maryland. Judging by their beautiful artwork featuring Lance Armstrong's bike, they're going to have some awesome tshirts!

Ahhh, decisions, decisions!!

I think it may be time to consult with the husband on his sailing and flying schedule!

Which events would YOU do?

8 comments:

Downhillnut said...

Tough choice. They ALL look fun! That Century that is so close to home would be nice, as you wouldn't have the hassle with accommodation. If you don't do this Half Ironman as a goal, though, will you still be motivated to keep up your swimming? Of course, you can concentrate on the bike and run for the fall and work on more swimming over the winter, when the bike is less fun...

Yup, tough choice.

TriDaddy said...

I'm getting inspired by everyone to do a half even though I never ever planned on something that far, so I'd have to say Diamond Man since my parents live in Delaware.

Tracy said...

Well, that's a good one. I guess I'd do the half because I KNOW I'm not ready for the century yet.

warren said...

Wow, they're all pretty amazing. At a guess, I would speculate that centuries come up more often than half-ironmans, so that might sway you.

Personally, I'd do the half ironman, but that's only because it would be tougher FOR ME. Your mileage may vary.

Comm's said...

I think I am with downhillnut.

Born To Endure said...

I did a century ride last fall in Michigan..totally loved it and would love to do another one..have fun if that's what you decide to do!!

tri-mama said...

100 miles on the bike in fall-nothing to think about but spinning- century would be my vote-also have you backtracked from your fall marathons and recovery time from either of the events?

:) said...

Do the half, do the half! You can get out and ride 100 miles with friends or solo with a little planning. You can't get race support, aid stations, volunteers or cheering fans by yourself if you decide to do a triathlon on your own. A century is nowhere near as glamorous as a full fledge half! Just my 2 cents...