Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Planning my mental half ironman

The training is done, the weather and swim starts will be what they will be, and my job is to do my best with the conditions that I encounter on race day, whatever happens.

It helps me to plan some mental mantras to use when things start feeling difficult. Here's my lineup:
  • Start: Stay relaxed with plenty of fuel in the tank. You belong. You belong here.
  • Swim: Slow and steady like a crocodile. Take the direct route. Smooth. Strong. Pull. Bilateral breathe if possible. Ignore any punches.
  • T1: Brisk but unhurried.
  • Bike: Stay in the aerobars. Work the downwinds to your advantage. Steady effort and try to keep it over 16 mph on the upwinds.
  • T2: Yay! I get to run now!
  • Run: JFR (just . . . run). Walk only at the aid stations. Smile and thank the volunteers.

Does anyone else have any mental mantras - short and memorable - for me?

7 comments:

Habeela said...

The only one I have should only be used if things get ugly: don't stop - it won't hurt less. But I'm sure you won't have to use it. :)

Nancy Toby said...

I've used "Don't stop unless they make you!" many times!! Hopefully not this weekend, though!

And yeah, I use something like that when running. At the end of a race, jogging doesn't hurt any more than walking, so you might as well jog!!

Bolder said...

a recent adoption of mine... i read it on someone else's blog, but can't remember...

a spectator was shouting encouragement at a struggling competitor, as the competitor passed by, the man shouted in a loud booming voice 'YOU KNOW YOUR REASONS!'...

a find strength in that mantra, i hope you do too.

Flo said...

My boss, a 25 time Ironman competitor, was telling me yesterday that one of her mental tricks is to visualize T1 towards the end of the swim. She is a great swimmer but towards the end it starts to take a toll. So when she gets to that point mentally, she visualizes T1, what she's going to do, in what order, where everything is, every detail. Anyway, this sounded great to me and I can't wait to try it. Good luck!!!

Brooke said...

It may be cliche, but I've always liked the old stand by. "JUST DO IT."

*jeanne* said...

Think LIGHT.

Up up up

Don't listen to the plod plod plod of your feet

flight

light

long easy breaths

gravity pulling you toward the finish

Lisa said...

I will not be weak! is a favorite of a friend of mine... I've used that on occasion. Singing "Climb Every mountain" from the Sound of Music (in your head or else people look at you funny) is a good way to get through hills.

I'm also a big fan of on the run, "left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot." Sometimes I just need the reminder. :p