It helps me to plan some mental mantras to use when things start feeling difficult. Here's my lineup:
- Start: Stay relaxed with plenty of fuel in the tank. You belong. You belong here.
- Swim: Slow and steady like a crocodile. Take the direct route. Smooth. Strong. Pull. Bilateral breathe if possible. Ignore any punches.
- T1: Brisk but unhurried.
- Bike: Stay in the aerobars. Work the downwinds to your advantage. Steady effort and try to keep it over 16 mph on the upwinds.
- T2: Yay! I get to run now!
- Run: JFR (just . . . run). Walk only at the aid stations. Smile and thank the volunteers.
Does anyone else have any mental mantras - short and memorable - for me?