Monday, June 19, 2006

New swim gear

It's probably because swimming is my weakest discipline, but I get much more excited about new bike gear than I do about new swim gear. But hey, gear is gear, and new stuff always makes your workouts a little more interesting, right?

Here are a couple of my newest purchases. On top are Zoomers swim fins. The blade is just a few inches longer than your toes, which makes it a lot easier to move around with the fins on and doesn't create such a huge effect as very long-bladed fins. The short length also makes them a lot easier to fit inside of a gym bag. But they still work! In this morning's workout I found that they tended to rub the tops of my toes too much. I won't be wearing them for great distances, probably 500m max, so they're a good addition despite that little annoyance.

My second new purchase was a pair of these hand paddles. Again, I'm not going to use them for very long distances - I've heard too many horror stories of people messing up their shoulders quite badly with paddles! I'm just going to use them for 200-400m here and there to work on technique, helping to correct my hand entry and pull in the water. Today it felt like I was wearing dinnerplates on my hands, but I could definitely feel that my anterior deltoids were getting a workout! I'm going to have shoulders like cannonballs!

6 comments:

Eric said...

I have those paddles and I like them alot. Yes, only use them for short durations. But you can feel the muscles working. Everyonce in a while coach has me using both paddles and fins. Talk about fast.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I'll be very interested in hearing what those hand paddles do for you. I've been wondering about them for quite some time - you can be my virtual guinea pig. :-)

Fe-lady said...

I have both (fins and paddles)and couldn't get thru my workout without them now! The fins are fun...they just MAY tighten up those hamstrings tho so be aware!
And big swim shoulders...well, I think they are sexy...the paddles have improved my stroke definitely. Talk about getting across the pool in just a few strokes...ZOOMMM! More fun!

Nancy Toby said...

Cannonball shoulders are a Good Thing to me. All muscles are Good. Flab is not so good. Those are my values.

Mojo said...

I need some of those hand paddles! Shoulders like cannonballs is just what I'm lookin' for!

Bolder said...

i miss my zoomers.

i'mma gonna have to set me up on a date with them...