Friday, June 16, 2006

Boat show

Today I took the day off from training. First I took Buttercup to the bike hospital (a new one) for an extended stay and some spa treatments and much-needed psychiatric counseling after her traumatic episode yesterday. Hopefully she'll emerge with a little better attitude.

Then I got a haircut - chopped off all the long stuff and now it's shoulder-length. I think when I summon the nerve the rest of it's coming off - it's still hot and in my face. It grows fast and thick. Kind of like it's time to jettison the excess of everything that doesn't resemble an Ironman. And it sure would be nice not to have hair in my face during a swim for a change.

Then my husband and I packed up the girls in the jogstroller and walked over to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum for a stroll around the Antique and Classic Boat Show. Beautiful day for it!

These crabs are inlaid in the top of a beautiful handmade kayak. I'd be afraid to use it, though!







8 comments:

Born To Endure said...

Ahhhhhhh boats..I love boats..i'm sad I had to sell my sailboat last year..sniff!!

Papa Tweet said...

I was just checking out yesterdays post. Wow! How does that happen. Yep, not much you can do to fix it in the field. There is a special tool that works from the back side of the chain rings to tighten and loosen them. But, you could have limped back into town. Just pull off the large chain ring, put the chain on the smaller one, and ride home. Slowly of course. Anyway, just a thought. Hopefully you'll never have to use it though.

Nancy Toby said...

Um, the hub attaches to both (independent) chain rings, so neither chain ring was holding on to anything except one bolt. Unless I had two or three other bolts in my pocket (which I didn't) AND was able to snap the chain rings back together properly by hand (which I couldn't), that bike wasn't going ANYWHERE except the bed of a pickup truck!!

Believe me, if I could have been limping, I would have been!

Bolder said...

i'm embarrased to read that you didn't not have three other bolts in your pocket.

but, i like the boats. i'm with Shelley, i'm not actually with Shelley, i'm in Boulder, but, i'm sad that i had to sell my boat.

Nancy Toby said...

That just means that BOTH you and Shelley should come out and do Eagleman next year!! :-)

And unlike the great Bolder, I do not usually carry a bolt in my pocket. Even when I'm glad to see you.

Mojo said...

Hope Buttercup is feeling better soon. I like your pictures because you always have a shot with animals. :)

Mojo said...

Oh yeah, I want to see your new haircut!

Nancy Toby said...

Heh, I just realized my pictures almost NEVER have people in them, except for my girls! Crabs and dogs and incidental people wandering around, sure, but no people closeups!