Wednesday, June 14, 2006

New swimming hole

Here's my new weekday swimming hole - the community pool about 2 blocks from my house. It has morning lap swim and today I was the only one there! I just wanted to get my stiff muscles stretched out a little and work out some of the residual post-race soreness. So I didn't have them remove the deep-end buoy line (as they should have) but instead just swum around in circles on the edge and occasionally across the diagonal, and dove a few times under the rope and back.



I stayed in for 45 minutes, so I'm going to count it as 1500m. So there.

This will be great for "short" weekday swims, but most of my big swim workouts take me a couple of hours to complete. The drawback of this pool is that lap swim is only open for one hour. I'll have to go to the YMCA indoor pool for my longer workouts. That's okay with me, I love that pool and I won't get sunburned indoors!



Update: It occurred to me since a whole bunch of other tri-bloggers out there seem to be in Major Whiner Mode, I should maybe have casually mentioned that I have to get up at 6:00-6:30 AM and hire a babysitter in order to get these swims done. And maybe I should have added a "Woe is me, sucks to be me" for effect and to elicit sympathy. But you know what? I'm delighted to be able to do them. Especially when it's just a 5 minute walk from home. Training for an Ironman is a "get to do", not a "have to do". The more I do, the more I can do. The more consistent I am, the more I do a little every day, the less likely it is that I will be injured and the better I'll be able to train on the hard days, and the better-prepared I'll be for Ironman Florida. Let's GO!

10 comments:

:) said...

Great attitude...it's good to remember that we don't have to do any of this stuff!

Nice looking pool....

Bolder said...

how long is the pool?

looks outstanding.

except for that rope.

because, you know me and swimming... that rope gives me too many ideas...

WB said...

You are right. I am definitely in "whiner mode". I needed a good, swift kick in the ass. THat comment gave it to me.

Thanks!!!

Born To Endure said...

You have such a great attitude Nancy..I was thinking this very thing last night on my beautiful ride. I was wondering if I should write a letter to the WTC..if Ironman ended tomorrow, there would be a lot of crushed people out there..it is a privledge that we get to do these things..and I love every minute of it!!!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

oooooo! Tough love from the Nancinator. You're right. We volunteer for this stuff. I'm not whining, not today anyway. :)

P said...

great comment - thanks for the thought process! I'm an athena mom training for my first tri in July. I've been getting up at 3:50am to be at the Y by 4:30 to train with some other ladies. I do this because it's the least distrubing to anyone elses schedule in my house! And what a great feeling to come home at 6:15 - knowing I just kicked ass with a pre-dawn workout! I do feel lucky to be able to do this - thanks again!

Lynne said...

Well said on the "update"... Our house is a NO WHINE ZONE all the way around... I wish I could say the same for my blog....

Trisaratops said...

Great attitude! We really are lucky aren't we?

Mojo said...

What more can you ask for? Being outside, getting some sun while swimming laps!

You just motivated me to check out our public pool. Maybe they'll have laps times too! Great idea!

jeanne said...

nicely put! unfortunately, whining is one of my best events...but then i'm not a tri-whiner, so there...