Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Year 50 Challenge

My 50th year on earth will end on June 23, 2007. However, I work better on calendar years, so I'm going to devote the entire year of 2007 to my Year 50 Challenge. I *want* to do something rather spectacular, but what my body really needs is more week-in, week-out consistent training. So that's the bulk of the program.

Here's the plan so far. I may add to it before the end of this year, when I get it all worked out in ink on a wall calendar. Some parts are quite conservative, some are ambitious. It doesn't allow much time at all for illness or injury, so I'm skipping those in 2007. I'm also not planning on doing as much in the way of travel to destination events as I have lately. All told, it should add up to a year of consistent hard work:

Swim:
50+ miles total in the year
5+ 5*500m swims (2500m)

Bike:
5+ 100 mile rides (five centuries)
5*500 miles total in the year (2500 miles)

Run:
50+ 5K timed runs (one or more under 25:00!)
50+ 5 mile (or 5*1 mile) timed runs
5+ 10K timed runs (one or more under 55:00!)
5+ timed half marathons
5*5*5*5 miles total in the year (625 miles)

Nutrition:
Log food 50*5 days/week
Lose 5*5 pounds (25+) from Jan 1st to Jan 1st

Events:
5+ triathlons or duathlons
(Some of the 5Ks, 10Ks, and half marathons above will be in road races, some not).

8 comments:

Flo said...

That looks pretty good. I'll be hitting 50 in just a couple of years so I'm taking notes on what you're doing ;)

You're ads at the top are for Iceland Races. Huh?!?!?!?!

Steve said...

Nancy,

Way cool! I turn 36 on June 23!

You "old" timers are setting a great example with your committment to fitness for us "young" punks!

Go for it!

21st Century Mom said...

geez - all I did was run 1 lousy marathon! That looks like a great plan and at least you won't have any trouble remembering the numbers.

Charles said...

That is a fabulous plan!!! Goo dluck and keep us posted as it goes!!!

Steph Cooke said...

Sounds like a great plan! You have had a fantastic 2006 too. I must knuckle down and make some 2007 goals very soon!

PuddyRat said...

I wish you much success with your 50 challenge. If we never make goals, we are sure to achieve...nothing, yes? But we won't know exactly what we can achieve until we try.

Oh, and thanks for the link to the Johari window. That will be interesting to try.

IronWaddler said...

I just turned 50 in September. You've got a great plan. GO for it!

Julia said...

Man, I'd probably pick just ONE of those for my 50 years! Pretty ambitious :-)

The twins are looking cuter and cuter!