Sunday, December 03, 2006

The secret double keystroke

Did you know that there's a particular combination of keystrokes that will instantly turn your entire computer monitor display sideways into portrait mode?

Yeah, well, neither did I.

But apparently Elisabeth did. When I was giving her some time at the computer (she's addicted to Kneebouncers), she hit that magic combination. I'm pretty sure she did it on purpose. Suddenly Mom got very upset with her. And took her away from the computer and turned the monitor sideways and started going to all these other weird pages like "help" and "system" and "" and the like.

There was no information anywhere on how to change it back. I was going to have to use my computer sideways forever.

Fortunately (after I gave up and headed for the Tylenol) my husband finally found an arcane fix in a checkbox on a sub-sub-sub-menu way deep in the bowels of the Display. I was very very grateful.

And Elisabeth isn't allowed back at Kneebouncers for a very, very, very long time.


21st Century Mom said...

Next time that happens remember that Google is your friend. Just look up 'display turned sideways' and you get a zillion hits like this one:

Instant fix.

nancytoby said...

Ooh, I didn't think to look on Google! I was looking at the places that were *supposed* to be helpful! Duh!

Actually that combo didn't work -- I still haven't identified which keystrokes actually did the deed. But it might be that we deactivated that function now.

TriFeist said...

Evil Kneebouncers. They could be a threat to national security.

runr53 said...

Oh... so you got us all hyped up that we could turn our displays sideways and then... did not tell us how??? Thats mean, and you wonder why the daughter did what she did? Sheeesshhh! LOL Run Good!

Fe-lady said...

Sounds like my kids at school- they can get into places into a computer I never knew existed!
(Kids are somewhat geniuses when it comes to technology! Even if it's an "accident"!)

Lisa said...

Isn't it amazing how they can just magically press the right keys to break things? It's like they have a sixth sense or something. :)

Vickie said...

I know there are MANY secret key strokes that change not only the font size, but, as you said, the direction of your monitor picture, etc. I do these quite often, and unfortunately don't know that I am doing them so don't know how to correct them. If in word, there is always the arrow back key. After that, I'm stuck too. Then, its a call to Help Desk!

Jonathon said...

I'm forever endagering everything I haven't had the sense to back up with stuff like this. I seem to be hazardous to computers sometimes!

Iron Pol said...

If it can be done with a mouse, it can almost certainly be done with a keyboard.

That's why B-Boy is always under VERY close scrutiny when using the computer. I might learn something new.