Friday, December 29, 2006

Taking the bull by the horns

I just bought these on eBay:

OK, they're not fancy-shmancy carbon ones, but they were only $23 with shipping and insurance. And they'll give me practice replacing things on the bike. And if they get bent by tipping over, no big deal, for only $23, right? And I'll get to learn how to do something new in bike maintenance! I still have some leftover handlebar tape, too, which I hope will be sufficient. I'll document the whole process on the blog when I do the changeover.

Many, many thanks to Flatman for his great backchannel advice and assistance throughout the process and finding these for me! Next time I'm down your way I'll buy the first round.

Maybe I'll spend that $377 that I saved on a cool aero Storm Trooper helmet like Bolder.

6 comments:

Born To Endure said...

Hot damn..yah gotta have the helmet Nancy!!

Nancy Toby said...

OK, I'll buy an aero helmet as soon as you do!

Mojo said...

Damn, Nancy. I think you could get a part time job as a bike mechanic. :) I have a hard time getting a dropped chain back on.

Nancy Toby said...

I actually don't think it's going to be too hard! I've already done the brake thingies and wrapped it, so I know how to do that, it's just taking off the old one and putting on the new one. Hopefully I won't wind up with extra parts.

The hard part was figuring out which one would fit right. I'm still not sure this is exactly right, but I've only gambled $23!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

$377 for a helmet???? Is he nuts? I'll stick with my cute and cool looking white/grey/pink helmet.

I'm looking at signing up for a bike mechanics course sometime this summer. Maybe I'll even learn to fix my own flats...lol.

:) said...

WOOT! Glad to be of service, Nancinator!!!