Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bent

My bullhorns are bent. Actually, just the left one. Just enough to make it feel a little screwy. The left aerobar is off a little too, though it's still rideable. However, I'll need to replace them before I go through any pre-race inspections next year. Everyone says "don't attempt to bend it back!" because that will just make it more brittle. Brittle is a Bad Thing in a bike, especially when you're going upwards of 15 mph.

I'm pretty sure I did it when I tipped over at a standstill last month. So much for my nice wrap job, eh? So now I'm trying to decide how to replace it, shopping around the Profile Design website. Naturally I'd like some really fancy carbon replacements, but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of ($400+) money. Ideas for me? (All those rubber bands are for my aerobottle - don't worry, they aren't holding the bike together).

What do you think of these? They'd run me about $210 plus shipping, retail.

These (below) are a tiny fraction of the billions and billions of Canada geese we have as winter guests down here on the eastern shore. I passed this massive herd of them out on my ride today. I like them, but lots of people get grossed out by all their poop!

6 comments:

:) said...

Ohhh...get these!

http://www.duathlon.com/classifieds/detail/5051

Nancy Toby said...

Woot, those look pretty slick! If they were on eBay I'd probably bid!

How do I figure out which will fit, though? I was just figuring Profile Design would be the most likely to be compatible, and I could just replace the base bar.

Una said...

Oh that stinks that your bar is bent. No idea on recommendations though, never used them.

Re: the geese, you can keep them :) Their lazier siblings are still camped out in the field behind my house.

michelle said...

Just found your site. In Nov and Dec I did my first mini-tris. Of course I cannot swim very well and had not ridden a bike for 15 years so had difficulty. Had also been ill for past 6 months and fitness has fallen off. I want to get better so your blog is very inspirational. The next one is Jan 21st. Haven't been training since the last one as I had an operation. Have to start again and get back into training and learning to run again. Any tips would be helpful. I am also 49 and am amzed at how well you are doing and how young you look.

Nancy Toby said...

Thank you so much, Michelle!! I appreciate your words!!

My best recommendation is do something every day, and keep good records. And pay entry fees long in advance!! Maybe you've inspired me to write a post about it...

Vickie said...

It must be the allure of the water nearby and the open fields. When I used to live out in the sticks, it was nothing to go out running and come upon a field with thousands of those things. I lived in an area where there were quite a few lakes, ponds, and open fields, so it must have been like a staging area before the big flight further south.

As for the bike problem, I pretty much have the same thing. Mine of course aren't fixable so will be looking at getting new as well. I'm sure they got bent with your fall. My aerobars have been bent since my first bike season--from all my falls!