Sunday, March 26, 2006

PRs: The Dark Side

Am I the only one who is really, really bugged by people's negativity when she reads, over and over again on triathlete blogs, various versions of :

"I'm really disappointed with my (XYZ) time - even though it was a personal record."

I just don't get it. Never have, never will. Why not choose to enjoy the journey? Why choose disappointment? Don't we do this for the FUN and HEALTH of it?

The converse of this is:

"I was okay with my (XYZ) performance, except for A, B, C, D, E, and of course F. . . . ."

Sounds to me like same concept, different words.

7 comments:

Fe-lady said...

I do both...go back and forth...'cause I am used to the podium, and once you've tasted that it's hard to just settle for "doing it for the fun of it", which I do also. I LOVE training and being fit...I LOVE racing and pitting myself against others. I am also kinda hard on myself when I don't do as well as I think I "should have"...but later bask in the realization that I "just did it..and hey, it was a good effort".

Fe-lady said...

ya think I sound kind of schizo in that last post??? :)
But truly, I think you can be hard on your performances AND have fun at the same time...!

jeanne said...

Naw, that's their issue. Doesn't bother me in the least. I got plenty of my own issues to be bugged about! :)

Born To Endure said...

What's a PR?? :-))

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Fun? I was supposed to enjoy this? Jeepers, why didn't someone tell me. ;)

Although, I am happiest when my performances show improvement.

Nancy Toby said...

One of my old coaches (in academic competitions, when I DID used to get podium placements) used to say: "It's FUN to go and participate. It's MORE fun to WIN."

Comm's said...

You gotta have fun.