Monday, March 05, 2007

Looking ahead to a fall marathon

I'm planning on running the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC this fall, for my 2nd time. Linae picked up a guaranteed entry form and sent it to me (thanks!!), so I'm IN without dealing with online registration - if I make sure to mail it in by the deadline.

Notice that I said running the marathon. As opposed to walking, walk-running, jogging, shuffling, or simply enduring it. Not that there is anything wrong with any way of getting to the finish line!!! But for my 10th attempt at the distance, I'd like to do something different for me and actually run the sucker and get to the finish line as fast as my legs will carry me.

Now after my sub-2:30 half marathon, I'm having visions of a sub-5:00 finish, too. That should get me below the median finish time for women my age. Last year the median time (216/433) for women in my age group then (50-54) in this particular race was 5:19:40; and the median time (389/779) for women in my current age group (45-49) was 5:03:24. Since it's not a PR course (very crowded, big hills up front, concrete streets, lots of turns), and my longer-distance finish times are always slower than the predictions of the charts, I think in order to do a sub-5:00 I'll have to be prepared to run the equivalent of at least a 4:50 marathon. Which means I need to be running below these times at shorter distances:

5K 0:29:48
5M 0:49:13
10K 1:02:26
10M 1:43:04

Those look like they might be within reach, if I train hard through the summer and lose more weight. Losing a few pounds body weight always seems to yield me a lot more speed than a TON of training.

Ambitious goals are good! If I reach this goal, I could maybe even be a marginally slightly above-average marathon runner! Woot!

We're still 34 weeks out from the marathon, though. Plenty of time to crank it up!

9 comments:

Fe-lady said...

You can do it, if anyone can!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

You can totally do that. Go NANCY!!!

I've always thought it unfair that diligent training got me a few seconds over all but 10 pounds would earn me minutes per mile off a PR.

I also have a pet theory that says the less you weigh, the more your training is converted into speed. May mean nothing but it's been true for me.

GO NANCY GO!!!

Iron Pol said...

You have the right approach. Of course, the relative ease of weight loss plays part here. If weight loss is an utter nightmare, doing speedwork may be more beneficial.

I, however, am a firm believer in losing weight to gain speed. Trifeist has it right. You can gain minutes through weight loss.

Good luck. Regardless of the PR, you know how beneficial it is just to train and race.

Dances with Corgis said...

Way to set an ambitious goal! Sub-five should be doable... can't wait to follow along on your success!

Julia said...

I've always found that the double your half marathon time and add fifteen minutes = marathon time is a pretty reliable formula. Trim that half down to a 2h20m and you got yourself a sub five! Go Nancy!

Unknown said...

I agree, ambitious goals are good. And you're giving yourself plenty of time to prepare to meet those goals. I'm sure you can do it.

Nancy Toby said...

Good thoughts, thanks! I was kind of afraid to post the half marathon "equivalent" time from the charts, since right now it seems TOO HARD to trim off another 7 minutes off my half marathon, but I know if I lose some more weight I'm there. So that's good motivation!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oorah!!! MCM is my favorite large race and a good choice for a PR, IMO, if the weather cooperates (hot & humid in 2004, but nice and cool in 2005).

The big crowds the first few miles, where the biggest hill is too, should keep you from going out too fast at the start.

Good luck in meeting your race goals!

jeanne said...

You go girl! You can definitely run this thing and you'll have the biggest PR of your LIFE! (just watch what you eat that morning. just sayin').

(I'm still trying to decide if I can do this one more time or not. there's still time. )