Monday, March 19, 2007

Goin' to Disneyworld

September is shaping up to be a busy triathlon month! On the 9th I've got the inaugural Annapolis Triathlon, an Olympic-distance event. Then on the 23rd I've just entered the Disney Triathlon, which is a weird sorta Olympic distance (1500m swim, 10km run) but with a 58 km (36 mile) bike leg. Apparently they've totally revised the bike leg this year, but haven't posted a map of it yet. That's okay with me, it sounded like a truly horrible unsafe event last year packing cyclists and runners into one lane of roadway. Plus, as long as I'm schlepping Buttercup all the way to Florida, I might as well get in a decent medium-distance ride there, correct?

Getting finished in under 4 hours sounds like a great day to me! I'm not especially fond of any event that takes longer than that, to tell the truth!

And oh yes, I entered the Athena division, as always. At the event that I finally don't qualify, I'll happily request a change into the appropriate age group divisions.

We will be driving a rental RV down there and will only spend about one extra day in the area. I think since the girls will only be four years old we will probably limit ourselves to playing at a water park or maybe Sea World for this visit. The whole Magic Kingdom experience can wait another year or two.

5 comments:

Robin said...

OOooh, that looks like a really fun race (I like the longer bike, wish they made them all like that. Now if they could only make the run about 100m...) Looks like a great race to take the family to as well. Then again, I'm a sucker for all things Disney.

rachel said...

very cool! : D
I just entered my first 5k since I left the PNW. April 28th. And I'm nervous, how silly is that!

Vickie said...

From my own experience with Disney and kids under the age of 5, it is a wise choice to forego that scene for another year or two. They won't really remember it that much anyway. But they WILL remember Sea World and getting soaked by Shamu or feeding the dolphins.

Born To Endure said...

I've always wanted to do that race..hope you have a blast and post lots of pics!!

Andra Sue said...

Yes, Disney last year *was* horribly unsafe. Not to mention, way more disorganized that it should have been for a Disney production...and what we paid in entry fees. Nevertheless, it was still a blast and a good first Oly distance for me! Sounds like maybe they are trying to fix all the problems this year. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Hope you have a great time!