Friday, March 16, 2007

I'm in the majority

According to the CDC,

". . . approximately 32.6 percent of the U.S. adult population surveyed consumed fruit two or more times per day, and 27.2 percent ate vegetables three or more times per day . . . the newest guidelines advise that adults eat three to five servings of fruit and four to eight servings of vegetables every day."

Seven to thirteen servings of fruits and vegetables every single day? Like, over 4 servings every single meal? Not including potatoes or carrots?

I. don't. think. so.

Or even "two cups of fruit and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables per day", from the 2005 USDA guidelines?? That comes to 1.5 cups of fruit or vegetable every single meal.

I've been finding that for me, it's pretty darned difficult to maintain that level of intake unless I pay strict attention to it every single day, and take a trip to the grocery store to buy fresh produce nearly every day.

10 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

V-8s and smoothies are a great way to get a bunch of the fruit and veggie servings in.

Chris said...

You can always buy frozen too!

Carlene said...

It does mean that you need to have veggies or fruit at every meal but it is doable. Breakfast - throw in a piece of fruit (heck toss 1/2 cup berries on your cereal and you have a serving). Lunch - Salad with protein (that's 2+ cups of veggies right there). Dinner - more salad or a nice stir fry with some protein. Snacks - Fruit or veggies and dip with some protein (nuts or something) or yogurt and berries tossed in. VOILA you've consumed the daily recommended fruits and veggies, or something very close to that. And guess what... you're probably feeling FULL too. When I eat like this I feel full most of the time. Biggest problem I have is that eating fruit without protein leads to a blood sugar drop.

Nancy Toby said...

Yeah, but who wants to have stir-fry or an enormous salad every single day?? I don't even LIKE veggies very much!! And berries cost a fortune!! Grrrrr....

21stCenturyMom said...

Find your salad and do it! I am actually somewhat addicted to baby greens with a little goat cheese, a few crushed walnuts and some dried cranberries. I eat it every day when I'm being good. The other option is to have a lot of cut up carrots and celery around to snack on. Much better for you than Goldfish Crackers and if they are all prepared they are just as handy.

That having been said I agree with you - those guidelines are a bit much.

Spokane Al said...

" . . .who wants to have stir-fry or an enormous salad every single day??" I do, I do! every day and love it.

And as a heroic person with a number named after you, I know you can do it to!

Nancy Toby said...

But I'm not one of those people who likes eating the same thing every frickin' day!! BO-RING!

Fe-lady said...

1 serving is 1.5 cups? I would be in the bathroom for a LONG time the next morning!

Fe-lady said...

And what I want to know is...why am I never a member of the adult population who was surveyed? I mean I have been around for a fairly long time and I have never once in my life been surveyed! I think it's all made up-or the people surveyed are lying!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Is that in addition to other food????