Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Tuesday workout

Today's workout. I thought I needed a little running challenge (after blowing off my half marathon on Sunday) so today (so far) for starters I did half-mile repeats on the treadmill at the club. I also played around with the grade to vary intensity:
  • 0.5 mile walk warmup at 20 min/mile, 2% grade
  • 0.5 miles at 12 min/mile, 2% grade
  • 0.25 mile recovery walk at 20 min/mile, 2% grade
  • 0.5 miles at 10 min/mile, 0% grade
  • 0.25 mile recovery walk at 20 min/mile, 2% grade
  • 0.5 miles at 12 min/mile, 2% grade
  • 0.25 mile recovery walk at 20 min/mile, 2% grade
  • 0.5 miles at 10 min/mile, 0% grade
  • 0.25 mile warm-down walk at 20 min/mile, 2% grade
Normally a 10 min/mile pace outside is really pushing it for me (my 5K PR is 31:30) but it felt relatively easy at 0% grade after the previous work at a 2% grade. I know it's not the same work intensity as a 10 min/mile pace outside, since you're not working against air resistance, but at least my legs were moving that fast for a brief while.

Then into the pool, after 3 quick sets of crunches! 1000m at an easy pace, varying my strokes. I particularly concentrated on breathing on the "wrong" side for me (which involves a lot of sputtering and water up my nose, since I'm totally uncoordinated in that direction) but it DID prevent any of the one-sided back pain that I had experienced from breathing only on one side. I'll have to continue with this bilateral breathing work. I'd like to get to the point where I can breathe comfortably on either side, or alternate breaths on either side, because I hear that kind of versatility is very helpful in open water swims where the waves may be coming from either side, and one-sided breathing can tend to make a person veer off course.

Yesterday I did 45 minutes on the bike trainer (planned for 60, but I put it off for too long and it finally got too late to complete - funny how that happens when I procrastinate) and did a few sets of crunches. Catherine decided it was fun to sit on my chest while I was lying on the floor trying to do crunches. That made them somewhat more difficult.

I still plan to do 45 minutes on the bike trainer later today (up from the original plan of 30 minutes) to continue on my Five Days of Consistency.

5 comments:

Flatman said...

What an awesome visual! My 5 year old son thinks that me on the floor doing ab work is an invitation to do a flying dive bomb onto my torso... You better get ready for these. It definately makes ab work more interesting!

Alicia said...

Oh my, I can't even do crunches with some weights, I can't imagine how hard it is to do them with a child on my chest!

Have you done a tri in open water yet? I've heard it's good to practice looking up every 4th stroke or so just to look up above the waves and splashes to make sure you're still going in the right direction. Just wondering if that theory is true.

Anonymous said...

awesome job on the TM; I LOVE intervals on that thing.

And, like at flatman's, any attempt at home ab work results in immediate body-block hugs from the boys (ooof!), so those are saved for the gym!

-c
TxSkatemom
http://hooha.org/skatemom

nancytoby said...

I've done only one sprint tri in a lake, and that was NOT a good swim experience. Yes, practice sighting during swimming is important - I'm hoping there will be some crossover effect on training my neck muscles to stay craned up when I'm in the aerobars on the bike!

Alicia said...

Thanks! I'll try sighting tonight and see how it goes. :)