Friday, April 08, 2005

Today's swim

cb10Here's another shot from the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler - it captured that gritted-teeth determined look, I think. I needed that determination today during my swim - it felt uncomfortable and rough the whole time - so I kept going, hoping it would smooth out. I got to 36 laps (something over a mile) in about an hour, including stops for choking, lane changes for the water aerobicizers, etc. That discomfort is my punishment for not swimming for a whole week, I believe! I had about four strokes in there where I suddenly felt FAST - it was when I was swimming away frustrated (okay, pissed off) at this lady who was standing stock-still in the adjacent lane and wouldn't move so I could use it for swimming (when there were seven people doing water aerobics one lane over, and I had asked her nicely). But that fleeting few seconds of feeling fast, and the pleasant tiredness in my shoulders now, makes the trip to the gym worthwhile.

6 comments:

Oldman said...

are you gritting your teeth or smiling?

Linda said...

Did you grit your teeth in the pool and smile like that? You look happy and DETERMINED!

Nancy Toby said...

LOL! I'm pretty sure it was gritted teeth and faking a smile for the cameraman! This was about half a mile before the finish! Fortunately the very strong wind was at my back here - you might be able to tell the way it's blowing out my vest by my right arm?

*jeanne* said...

Ooooh! Good pic! :-)
You recognise it as close to the Finish? I don't recognise ANY Cherry Blossom pics that don't have giant horse statues, the Finish clock, or the Start line traffic jam!

Tracy said...

You look AWESOME!! I love the look on your face. And do I ever understand the pool frustration. Hang in there, now you have good pool Karma points for the frustration of it all - the next time you go everything will be great!

vj said...

That's a great pic, Nancy -- especially a half-mile before the finish!!! Cool!