Friday, April 08, 2005

Today's swim

cb10Here's another shot from the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler - it captured that gritted-teeth determined look, I think. I needed that determination today during my swim - it felt uncomfortable and rough the whole time - so I kept going, hoping it would smooth out. I got to 36 laps (something over a mile) in about an hour, including stops for choking, lane changes for the water aerobicizers, etc. That discomfort is my punishment for not swimming for a whole week, I believe! I had about four strokes in there where I suddenly felt FAST - it was when I was swimming away frustrated (okay, pissed off) at this lady who was standing stock-still in the adjacent lane and wouldn't move so I could use it for swimming (when there were seven people doing water aerobics one lane over, and I had asked her nicely). But that fleeting few seconds of feeling fast, and the pleasant tiredness in my shoulders now, makes the trip to the gym worthwhile.

7 comments:

Oldman said...

are you gritting your teeth or smiling?

LouBob said...

Did you grit your teeth in the pool and smile like that? You look happy and DETERMINED!

Rebecca said...

I love your picture! And good job with the swim!

nancytoby said...

LOL! I'm pretty sure it was gritted teeth and faking a smile for the cameraman! This was about half a mile before the finish! Fortunately the very strong wind was at my back here - you might be able to tell the way it's blowing out my vest by my right arm?

*jeanne* said...

Ooooh! Good pic! :-)
You recognise it as close to the Finish? I don't recognise ANY Cherry Blossom pics that don't have giant horse statues, the Finish clock, or the Start line traffic jam!

Wil said...

You look AWESOME!! I love the look on your face. And do I ever understand the pool frustration. Hang in there, now you have good pool Karma points for the frustration of it all - the next time you go everything will be great!

vj said...

That's a great pic, Nancy -- especially a half-mile before the finish!!! Cool!