Thursday, April 14, 2005

On a more serious note....

Two interesting online articles from Physican and Sportsmedicine for those with a technical bent:

Emergency Triage of Collapsed Endurance Athletes
A Stepwise Approach to On-Site Treatment
LTC Fred H. Brennan, Jr, DO; COL Francis G. O'Connor, MD

When and Whom to Stretch?
Gauging the Benefits and Drawbacks for Individual Patients
Ian Shrier, MD, PhD

There's a lot of talk about hydration and hyponatremia on the various lists due to some newspaper articles out on the subject now. I'll rant at length about electrolytes at some later date, but until then, keep up your hydration but at the same time (they talk about this aspect far too little): replenish, replenish, replenish your sodium and potassium!

4 comments:

White Salamander said...

Great articles. Thanks for the links. I know I tend to overlook sodium and potassium as key ingredients to safe and healthy training.

Linda said...

I still don't take in enough fluids and really don't know WHAT to drink? I tried apple juice and it sure made a differnce.

Born To Endure said...

Great information Nancy and perfect timing for me!!

Oldman said...

I don't stretch so now I'm confused....