Monday, April 25, 2005

Are you in the healthy 3%?

A survey by Michigan State researchers finds that only three percent of Americans regularly follow four basic recommendations for good health:
  • Don't smoke
  • Eat well (at least 5 fruits and vegetables per day)
  • Exercise regularly (30+ minutes 5+ times per week)
  • Maintain a healthy weight (BMI 18.5 - 25.0).
I can't say that I'm in that elite three percent yet, but I'm working on it. Nope, I don't smoke. There are days in which I make crappy food choices, at the expense of healthier selections. While my workouts always take more than thirty minutes, I take more than two rest days per week fairly frequently. "Uh, I'm tapering. Yeah. Errr, I mean, I'm recovering. Whatever." And as for that BMI thing, well, let's just say it's a work-in-progress. This does give me some good thoughts on what to prioritize!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 out of 4 ain't bad... and the BMI thing is SO close I can taste it! I've never understood the smoking thing, myself. Gah.

Keep at it, N, we'll be elite soon enough! or die trying!!

-c
TxSkatemom
http://hooha.org/skatemom

:) said...

That's right! We will get there soon enough. Right now it is enough that we are training and trying!!!

Anonymous said...

While I likewise am 4 for 4, I question the BMI metric as it is my understanding that many well conditioned athletes exceed the "suggested" BMI. For example, many "cut" NFL players or World Class sprinters have a lot of lean muscle that nonetheless adds to their weight causing them to exced the appropriate weight for their height.

Good luck in your quest Nancy!!

Linda said...

I'm with you on the smoking thing too, never did understand why people wanted to suck on those things anyway. As for the weight/workout stuff I working on that too but sometimes life gets in the way!

*jeanne* said...

No...I'm sure not in the 3%

I am not interested in cooking and food...but I LOVE EATING...lazy-style. So getting all the food groups, avoiding fast 'n easy not-good-for-ya-stuff...not something I've EVER been good at, and I'm not doing battle with my laziness right now. I HAVE worked at eating right in the past...but NOT recently. I keep planning to...................