Sunday, February 04, 2007

No football for me

I don't think I've watched a football game in over 20 years. Ah, yes, it's true. The last game I watched briefly was Super Bowl XX in 1986: Bears and Patriots. In the Louisiana Superdome - ack! I was a Chicagoland native living in New Hampshire then when I was on the faculty at University of New Hampshire, watching it with a group from work at a house in Maine. Apparently I was cheering for the wrong team and they weren't happy with me about it when the Pats got slaughtered. Oh well, nothing new under the sun.

I do watch a lot of men's professional cycling on TV when the Tour de France is on. It's the only team sport (and yes, it's most definitely a team sport in which the team gets next to zero public credit) in which I have any interest at all. This year I'll try to catch a few other races on Versus (all times EST):

Tour of California:
Prologue: Sunday, February 18th (5pm-7pm EST)
Stage 1: Monday, February 19th (11pm-12am EST)
Stage 2: Tuesday, February 20th (11pm-12am EST)
Stage 3: Wednesday, February 21st (11pm-12am EST)
Stage 4: Thursday, February 22nd (11pm-12am EST)
Stage 5: Friday, February 23rd (11pm-12am EST)
Stage 6: Saturday, February 24th (11pm-12am EST)
Stage 7: Sunday, February 25th (5pm-7pm EST)

Other:
Criterium International - April 1 @ 5 PM
Ronde van Vlaanderen - April 8 @ 7 PM
Paris-Roubaix - April 15 @ 5 PM
Amstel Gold - April 22 @ 5 PM
Tour de Georgia - April 28 @ 4 PM and April 29 @ 5 PM
Liege-Bastogne-Liege - April 29 @ 5 PM
La Fleche Wallone - April 29 @ 5 PM
Tour de Suisse - June 11 and June 18 @ 5 PM
Tour de France - July 7 - 29, Live AM coverage with nighttime reruns
Paris-Tours - October 14 @ 5 PM
Tour du Faso - November 25 @ 5 PM

No coverage of the Giro or the Vuelta!? Sigh. And let me know if you ever see any women's professional cycling broadcast, ever. I don't think I have, although I'd love to.

No cycling for me this weekend, either. It was below my "too-cold-threshold" of about 30*F when eyes water and any skin exposed to the wind gets pretty darned uncomfortable on the bike. I just went out for a little 5K jog around the neighborhood all bundled up and came back home to soak in a hot bath.

2 comments:

21st Century Mom said...

Last year I went out to watch the tour as it whizzed through my town only I missed them by about 2 minutes and that's all it takes. I couldn't catch them in the car because the roads were still closed. So sad. I will NOT let that happen again this year - no way!

Laura said...

I'm totally jealous that you can actually watch all those races on tv. I don't think we can easily get any of them in Canada, except the TdF!

Damn international programming...!