Thursday, February 01, 2007

Do-over

I'm starting the year over today. It's a day with a "1" on it. As good a day as any.

My January totals:
Swim: 8900 yards (4 swims)
Bike: 120 miles (all but ~10 outside)
Run: 35 miles (including 8 timed 5Ks on the track)
Walk: 9 miles (I just started logging these separately this year)

It's been a quiet, relaxing month. Where's the angst!? No Scimitar of Ironman dangling over my head, the late-spring triathlons are still comfortably far away, and I've mostly enjoyed my workouts instead of kicking myself out the door to get them done. I've been concentrating on the nutrition side this month but not making a lot of headway in poundage, though I've been gradually incorporating more fruits and veggies in the diet - trying to form a new habit by logging five different ones per day instead of approximately zero is something I have to pay a lot of attention to.

I tried something new yesterday which was pretty tasty - Green Giant frozen premixed Lo Mein. Now I usually think of mostly noodles with Lo Mein, and this was mostly veggies with a few scant noodles, but it still tasted good. Mostly frozen broccoli and carrots with a big frozen packet of sauce. Very quick and easy to make - I just thin-sliced some sirloin (it called for chicken or pork, but beef was still good) and stir-fried it in a pan (I even added some diced orange peppers) and added the stuff and it's done in about 10-15 min. Ate a huge half-the-pan portion for not too terribly many calories (500 or so) and saved the rest. My girls even liked it (which means it wasn't very hot-spicy). I'll buy it again! (Especially when the nearest Asian restaurant is a dozen miles away.)

Ran a nice peaceful 5-miler today on the roads at a very comfortable 12 min/mile pace. ACK! My new Garmin Forerunner was out of juice already, so I wasn't able to use it! I hope I didn't get a unit with a faulty battery? Re-charging now and hoping for better days ahead.

Maybe a snow day tomorrow. . . .

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Hope the Garmin works for you tomorrow!

The stir fry sounds really good. We got something similar at Trader Joe's and a potato mixture to go with it. Amazing how good some simple combinations can be! :)

Steph said...

Wow, that's a really good perspective. That feeling of starting anew is so motivating, and you're on to something!

Lisa has a good point too. There are so many yummy dishes that use "hidden" veggies:

*Baked potatoes (as the main course)--slap on some broccoli and cheese or make a Mexican potato with black beans, fajita-style paper, chili powder, and cheese.
*Rice/black bean/canned tomato/cheese casserole--easy to make and very yummy to eat
*Fancy homemade pizzas--pesto pizza w/ broccoli, sliced squash, tomato slices or just plain cheese with chunky sauce
*Stuffed peppers!
*Grilled veggie panini or po boy sandwiches
*Lots of varieties of pasta bakes and lasagnas

Food is my favorite topic! YUM! Good luck, and you are super motivated with your 5K/5 miler ambitions!
-Steph

Nancy Toby said...

Yeah, but any kind of baked potato, rice, pasta, pizza crust, bread, etc. doesn't count for veggies, unfortunately - and I need a whole CUP of an actual vegetable for it to count as a portion!! aieee! That's a lot!!

Steph said...

Put lots of veggies ON those things! Lots of tomatoes (yum...). When I cook those foods, people usually laugh "is there any pizza with those toppings?!" Artichokes, peppers, onions, carrots, any sort of color is fun to eat. Sweet potatoes are good too. Squash soup... Ooooh, now I'm hungry...! And salsa tastes good with just about everything.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I've tried a few new frozen bag meals lately. Some of them are really good. I like the convience.

rachel said...

have you tried the V8 Fusion juices? They say one cup of fruits and veggies in an 8 oz serving of juice.
And the fusion juices taste really good too.