Saturday, February 10, 2007

I found my limit

My limit for riding outside in winter is now officially 22 to 26*F and 10 to 12 mph winds. That's how cold it was for our ride today and while we had a very good workout, I don't think I want to brave it out there in anything very much colder! When the water in my aerobottle tube freezes up and the anti-splash pouf freezes in place, and the water freezes my teeth when I drink it, that's cold enough!! Plus it's kind of difficult to ride with three pairs of gloves on and your glasses fogging up every time you slow down. The small exposed area of my face got quite windburned, too, and stung when I took my hot bath upon my return home.

But the worst cold day outside on the bike is still better than the best day indoors on the bike trainer, by a long shot! We checked out the ice on the waterfront, saw a couple of hawks, and talked to my training partner David's brother-in-law the waterman, who was out working on his boat.

4 comments:

Downhillnut said...

Nancy and David ROCK! Way to get out there and test those limits.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Crazy people. Riding in weather cold enough to freeze water bottles just to avoid the trainer. Next we know you'll be buying parkas and insulated water bottles.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hell, you're more woman than me. That's my RUNNING limit. My bike limit is somewhere in the 40's.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I don't cycle outside when there's ice. We have ice and snow so I'll stick to the trainer.

Back in Victoria I rode in the cold but we hardly ever got snow. There was maybe two weeks in December/January I didn't ride simply because of the ice.