Monday, September 25, 2006

My big girl

For those who have asked about Elisabeth's progress in school - thanks for being interested! She's gradually getting used to the idea, I think.

Today began her second week of preschool. When we were dropping her off she whimpered for a little while when we arrived, which I think is really just her way of expressing a bit of anxiety. When Teacher came to get her, Elisabeth stopped whimpering and took her hand and marched off into the school without a backwards glance!

Later, a conversation that I had with Catherine in the car:

Me: "We're going to go pick up Elisabeth, and then go home."

Catherine, repeating back to me as if to confirm: "Go get Wizbit, then go playground."

Me: "Nice try, but uh, no, that is NOT what I said."

Then when we picked up Elisabeth, she always looks a little tired and dazed (see photo), but she did manage to wave goodbye at her teacher today. That's a first!

I think she'll do fine. It still cracks me up to see my big girl walking around underneath her oversized backpack, all 33 inches of her.

We did the same homework all 5 days last week. Today she made a coloring book and we'll review the new vocabulary words in it tonight. Nose to the grindstone, burning the midnight oil, and all that.

13 comments:

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Ya, gotta love it!

Enjoy these days, mom.

Stay tuned...

Comm's said...

thats crazy that their is homework already. just crazy. from what i have seen it is harder on the parents than the kids, hows mom holding up?

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Not being a child person, this seems like a lot of progress in one week. You must be proud.

Go Cathering for trying to sneak in a little mom manipulation!

LBTEPA said...

These last 2 posts are priceless. That's great news about Elizabeth settling in at school :)
My little girl isn't the silent-but-deadly type - she announces everyhting she does! Look Mum! I'm jumping off the bed (crash)/playing with your jewels/ getting the vegemite! At least you can feign ignorance...

Brooke said...

I love that curly hair. It's so cute

21st Century Mom said...

Sounds like school is starting to agree with her. They do make smaller pack-packs (what my son called them at that age) but she looks awfully cute wearing one that is as big as she is!

Julia said...

If it helps you any, my daughter cried every day for three years of nursery school-kindergarten when I dropped her off. Evan started this week and is headed in the same direction. I feel so cruel turning and leaving him there, on the other hand when I return to get him he's always having fun and playing with other children.

UltraMamaC said...

that backpack is rather huge! but she can carry a week's worth of snacks, I bet!

I like the way Catherine's mine works -- heh!

Habeela said...

I think her backpack is bigger than mine!

Carrie said...

That backpack should be carrying HER! Isn't it amazing how often they sneak in "playground"? My kids don't care if it is 30 degrees out and the playset is frosted- they still want to go.

Kylie said...

I love reading about how your girls are doing and how you tri around them. And that has to be one of the cutest pictures ever!

Fe-lady said...

What a cutie! She does look a little shell shocked!

Triteacher said...

You think she has homework now... just wait until she gets into the clutches of the 5th grade teachers... (Cue evil laughter.) :)

Seriously though, glad to hear you're getting into the homework routine. It makes a HUGE difference in how much kids retain.