Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Great final swim!

I was able to run over to the YMCA today and get in one last prep swim before Chesapeakeman Aqua Velo on Saturday.

I put on my new race goggles, all ready for Saturday, and just started swimming hard. I always have a difficult time in the first 200-300 yards of a swim, and I wanted to simulate that breathless feeling in practice before the race.

Open turns, hit my watch split button with every lap, like always. First lap felt like I was swimming in place for part of the time, but whoops! 1:01 for 50 yards. Hmm, that might be a PR for me! Let's keep swimming hard and see what happens! Stroke, stroke, pull, pull.

500 yards: 10:54, or 2:10/100 yards.
Hooray! That's a new PR! Woo hoo!
If I could keep that up (and I can't, yet) that would give me a 1:32 Ironman swim. Some day, perhaps!

I got out after 1200 yards today, just enough to stay loose. Yeah, I remember when it used to be a very long swim for me, but now it's just a quick dip in the pool. I didn't want to tire out my arm muscles before race day. I quit while the quitting was good, and hopefully ensured that I didn't leave my race in the training pool.

7 comments:

*jeanne* said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
*jeanne* said...

(When will I learn I ALWAYS need to proof-read?)

Have a FAB-U-LOUS Aqua Velo, Nancy!!

I'll be thinking of you as I drive to upstate NY for my GLASS of WINE with Jo!

:-)

Flo said...

Wow!!! Nice swim time!!! All these fabulous swimmers out in blogland now. Makes me feel like a land turtle in water.

Isn't it funny how 1200 m (or yards) is such a breeze now. My warms ups are at least 1000 m. Sweet. 2100 m is an easy day. Love it.

21st Century Mom said...

You might be surprised. I was at my last Tri. Have a great swim!!!

Ellie Hamilton said...

You are burning up the pool!!

I haven't made public my 100-yd time for a good reason. My coach and I are trying to figure out what's gone wrong. I've slowed way down just over the summer. Might see if the local masters coach can help. Gee, living where there's a masters group! Amazing!

Iron Pol said...

I can totally relate to that, Nancy. After the whole "forgotten clothes" issue, I squeezed in a "short" 1000 yards. BTW, I was thinking of you when I decided to grab the clothes and go back to the pool instead of scrapping the day. I used the Nancy Toby "Go fast/hard if you can't go long" method.

My issue, though, isn't the first few hundred yards, it's the ones that come after. My first 100, this morning, was 1:52. Most subsequent 100s got a bit slower.

Nancy Toby said...

Woo, I've never swum under 60 seconds for 50 yards!! I will someday, though!!