Thursday, September 07, 2006

3/8ths of an inch

Okay, per all your expert advice, I adjusted the nose of my bike saddle down a fraction today and took it out for a 90-minute ride to see if that would help my little problem with Razor Blades in the Crotch. Maybe I have a weird pelvis or something, but I can get the saddle to fit sitting up, or I can get it to fit in aero position, but not both. So we're choosing aero position and reserving the uncomfortable angles for periodically sitting up and stretching only. Hopefully that will work.

I worked on repeated intervals of 1 minute high-cadence (95-105 rpm) and 4 minutes regular cadence (80-85 rpm). I tried to really push it and got up past 23 mph range during the high cadence intervals with a tailwind, which is pretty speedy for me on the flat! However, average speed came out to be just 17.1 mph over 22 miles.

I love tailwinds.

No razor blades today! Then again, it was "only" 22 miles. The razor blades spontaneously emerge from the saddle at about 70 or 80 miles. I'll see how it goes on the next long ride.

Note to self: Stop forgetting your heart rate meter! You need it so that you don't get discouraged riding into headwinds.

6 comments:

21st Century Mom said...

I suppose you have already tried changing saddles? The one time I got fit for a bike the guy had me sit on this piece of foam and sort of grind my butt bones in to it and then he used that to figure out what seat I should have. Does your LBS do that? It might help.
Ugh to the razor blades.

:) said...

Maybe you just haven't broken in that new saddle yet...give it some time.

Nancy Toby said...

I felt dirty after I read that, 21stCM. ;-)

I hadn't heard of that! But yeah, this is about my 4th saddle attempt... best so far. It's really fine up to about 70 miles. After that....

Unknown said...

gotta say, nancy... i. am. shocked. that you think people are scared of me.

SHOCKED.

but not as shocked as you being okay with the whole 'amazonian' reference. oh well, to each their own.

but comm still owes me a drink.

good luck with the whole razor blade thing. maybe you could just burn it off... the amazons did that to their boobies.... :)

Nancy Toby said...

Uh... I'll look into BURNING OFF MY CROTCH. Yeah, I'll get right on it. :-)

Bolder said...

good to see everyone so interested in your crotch.

i've tried to cultivate that on my blog with little success.

anyway, if the 3/8s doesn't work, then i'd just ride on the seat post for awhile... the saddle will feel great in Florida.