Saturday, September 16, 2006

Is it time for the official pre-race panic yet?

I suck. I only made it 75.9 miles in today's ride. I suppose that's good for a metric century (122 kilometers), but it's definitely much less than the 112 to 120 miles (180 km+) that I was planning for today.

I got tired and tired of being rained on. I called it a day and weenied out.

The preliminary exam is going to be in 2 weeks at the Chesapeakeman Aqua Velo, where I'll be attempting a 2.4-mile swim among the sea nettles in the Choptank River followed by 112 miles on the bike. Will I make it? I guess we'll all have to wait and see!

9 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Sea nettles? That sounds painful. DO you have to cover your body with vaseline and stuff or does a wetsuit do the trick?

Born To Endure said...

Yes my dear!! You will make it!!

Dianne W. said...

You do not suck. You toughed out 75 miles before calling it a day. You know darn well that if it was race day you would have finished.

jbmmommy said...

You most definitely do not suck. The 75 miles you put in is more than most people would do in the rain, myself included. If it was a race you obviously would have finished, maybe you avoided accident or injury by calling it a day with the bad weather. I'm sure you'll smoke the aquabike.

Iron Pol said...

75 miles is a pretty good day, and far more than most people ever do. You still have a few opportunities to get some more 100 mile+ rides completed. And long rides in ridiculous weather are best saved for when they count.

Sometimes it rains on race day. And sometimes, 75 miles just has to be sufficient for crummy-weather training.

21st Century Mom said...

Of course you will finish - you just will. I hope the stupid sea nettles are swimming in some other part of the bay so they aren't a problem. You will rock the bike ride. No worries.

UltraMamaC said...

dude -- I'm just now bagging a long run in the rain completely, without even stepping foot outside. You will be excellent come IMFL.

Jonah Holland said...

Can't wait to hear about Cheasapeakeman! You'll do great. 75 miles in the rain ROCKS. you are too hard on yourself. BTW, if it was the same rain we had yesterday in VA Beach, who can blame you? We had to pull over because it was raining so hard -- and we were in our car.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Repeat after me " I AM NOT A WEANIE!"