Thursday, June 14, 2007

Surge protectors

YES I HAVE HEARD OF THEM.

I'm back, sort of. Using an old broken laptop.

We had heavy-duty surge protectors/UPS on both the computer and the DVD/VCR player.

The surge came through the data cable and the TV cable, not the power supply. Even if sudden lightning storms were typical around here (and they're very rare - this was the FIRST loud lightning strike that I heard in this particular storm) I didn't have those surge protected and I probably wouldn't have disconnected them even if I had remembered in time.

And if you know of an affordable home surge protector that can protect data lines and TV cables from a direct nearby lightning strike (the kind that rattles your windows and that you can feel in your eardrums), I'm definitely listening, because I don't want to lose another computer!!

8 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

We'll the important thing is that your safe. Especially since you had no warning -- at all!

21stCenturyMom said...

That is super awful. So the surge came through the cable and then the ethernet line? Nasty! Good thing nothing exploded.

Brent Buckner said...

Depends upon your definition of "affordable".
e.g. phone and cable lines

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Tripp Lite makes some the highest quality surge suppressors on the market. They aren't cheap but they won't break the bank. They have models that will do power, phone, and cable. I have them on all my electronics including my electronic piano (expensive too that).

We'll see if this link works.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=154

lynn's daughter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Comm's said...

I have a surge protector that my cat 5 runs through. I got it at...Ultimate Electronics a few years back. It also has a telephone input/output jack and the sundry electrical outlets.

The Big Cheese said...

Well, as you might now I am an insurance adjuster. Surge is SOMETIMES covered. As a rule of thumb, use surge protectors on expensive items, stereos or data electronics. As a higher rule of thumb, unplug the above items during storms because surge protectors fail...a lot.

The Big Cheese said...

PS. if your loss is significantly over your deductible...file a claim.