Friday, June 15, 2007

Eagleman thoughts

I'm still online with some difficulty with an old broken laptop, after running around yesterday and exchanging the fried cable modem.

I'm worried that I may have lost my workout logs again! Along with my Fitday nutritional records, and lots and lots of photos. That's one good reason why I like keeping this blog, to save my favorite photos in a separate place!

I guess my Eagleman report will come out in bits and pieces, because it's too difficult to type all at once on this crummy laptop. Thoughts that stand out:

Holly and Triathlonmom (sorry no links to your blogs, too hard to do right now) just plain rock. I was delighted to be out there on the same course as them, and it gave me a boost each time I saw them. Plus, of course, my wonderful CMS clubmates and all the great folks from MidMDTri!!

I saw an incredible number of animals that day!! I loved it!! A fox first thing leaving my house, a little gray cat that ran across my path in the morning twilight (yes, gray and not black, I looked carefully), a deer that stood 5 feet from my bike in the ditch on the roadside, several ospreys carrying fish back to their babies in the nest, a turkey mom and turkey babies (chicks? turkeylets? what are they called?), lots of sassy blue jays, and fortunately few aggressive dogs.

I somehow never got terribly psyched up for this race. I didn't train specifically for it - while my running several half marathon races was good preparation and my swimming was adequately maintained through the winter, I didn't have any long rides over 36 miles. They would have helped, no doubt, especially to give me extra pep during the run leg. I was hoping that my regular training routine would get me around the course, and it did, but not in the manner that I would like. I know that I can do better, much better; but still I'm reasonably satisfied with my fourth half Ironman triathlon. Hey, it IS half a freakin' Ironman, after all!!!

No comments: