Sunday, April 15, 2007

Dieting is usually harmful

My long-held belief in the damaging effects of dieting has been confirmed by a meta-analysis of thirty weight-loss studies.

"Pooling the results of the various studies clearly showed that while people do lose weight initially, most quickly put all the pounds back on. In fact, most people end up weighing more than they did to begin with."

"Research has shown the repeated rapid weight gain and loss associated with dieting can double the risk of death from heart disease, including heart attacks, and the risk of premature death in general."

But there's good news for my fellow triathletes: "Exercise may well be the key factor leading to sustained weight loss. Studies consistently find that people who report the most exercise also have the most weight loss."

Let's stop thinking in terms of quick fixes. Let's focus on slow, steady, small long-term changes that we can live with every day for the rest of our lives.

11 comments:

Flo said...

Absolutely!!!! Small steps....

Ellie Hamilton said...

Does this mean I don't have to lose 20# by whenever? Just eat healthy, keep running and take what I get? I could live with that... although it might not get me to Boston. Would I rather qualify for Boston or reduce my risk of dieting-induced health problems? Hmmmm....

Nancy Toby said...

I think that's a serious question to ask!! I think for me, losing more weight isn't going to make me any more healthy than I am. But it would make me faster, and better able to tolerate heat.

Steph Cooke said...

Here, here!! That's what worked for me. Exercise has definately been the biggest factor in helping me keep my weight off.

21stCenturyMom said...

Thank you for that PSA. 'Tis true. I see so many people who lost a lot of weight on various diets and how now weigh more than they did to begin with. WW seems to be an exception but again, it is more of a nutrition education program than a diet, or was for me.

Jonah Holland said...

How much is a "stone" anyway? just curious. I'd love to be able to answer in stones the next time someone asks me how much I weigh.

Fe-lady said...

I see it with women I work with all the time....so many of them noticed immediate results with the high protein diets going around. I gave both of them a gentle warning. They are now both off the "diet" and gained all (if not more) of the weight back.
They don't like me very much....

LBTEPA said...

HEAR HEAR!

Nancy Toby said...

1 stone = 14 pounds.

So let's just say I'm well over 10 stone.... 10.2 stone would be the average weight of a mature woman in the US.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

This just confirms my theory. You can only make changes that you can live with for the rest of your life. It also banishes any thought of doing something more drastic to lose these last 10 pounds. I've kept my weight off for over a year now. Only 4 more to go.

Comm's said...

A healthy body is a lifestyle change not simply a food change.