Sunday, August 05, 2007

Ugly miles

The plan was to run 14 to 16 miles today. I made it only 13.6 miles. Slowly. With a lot of walking. And even though I was hydrating and taking salt and Gu like crazy, I still lost 3 pounds of water in the process. Yeah, I was that sweaty.

I think I may have to be patient and wait for some cooler weather before I can get in some quality long run training. This is NOT quality training. Plus my knee hurt, my feet hurt, blah blah blah. I have a lot of miles to go if I'm going to finish a marathon in 12 weeks.

Note to self: The average pace, with all the walking and water stops, was also a lot slower than the 11:20 min/mile you want to average at Marine Corps Marathon on October 28. Take heed.

1 comment:

Noah Wood - A Maryland Runner said...

Wow, that's amazing you were able to complete a little more than a half-marathon in that heat, that may just help make you stronger and make it easier for you to get more mileage in when the weather feels a bit more pleasant... Keep it up!!! Marine Corps is such a fun event, I ran the 10K and was there for moral support for my friends in the marathon. Have fun training Nancy!