Thursday, May 10, 2007

Ten days until Columbia Triathlon

It's coming up fast! My third attempt to survive the Columbia Triathlon Olympic-distance course. It's going to be hilly and it's going to be tough. Am I ready? Let's do an inventory:

1. My back is still cranky and painful and hurts when I roll over in bed. No telling how it's going to act on those dreaded hills. I have a hunch it's not going to be happy.
2. I haven't had an open water swim since Ironman Florida last November. I've swum once per week, if that, this year.
3. My longest bike rides this year have been under 36 miles. Slowly. The last of those being last February. 99.99% on completely flat ground.
4. My running has been going well, but I have to complete Leg One and Leg Two in order to get to start the run. Hopefully without becoming exhausted!

So we have Situation Normal - I'm woefully unprepared. It wouldn't be a triathlon if I didn't show up undertrained, right!??

Bring it on! If I improve my time on the course, that's all to the good. If I'm slower, well, that just gives me a benchmark to improve on in the two other Olympic-distance triathlons that I have scheduled later this year (at Annapolis and Walt Disney World).

I just won't be placing any bets on my performance, that's all. I might end up like these guys.

This coming weekend my training buddies are preparing for their Ironman Coeur d'Alene by heading up to Lake Placid to ride and run some hills, so I'm left to my own devices. Wish I could go too, but instead it's going to be my last long solo training sessions before race day. I'll run today a few miles to see how the back feels (keep your fingers crossed!), swim tomorrow, then do a longer ride and a longer run over the weekend. And then start getting Buttercup cleaned up for her first event of the year!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Nancy!!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Maybe your back will be magically healed in 10 days. You never know.

Or not. I'll bet you post a better time even with your back.

Go Nancy!

Brent Buckner said...

All the best for making the most of the day.

The bet those fellows made strikes me as negative-sum. Does the one winner's glee really exceed the four loser's embarassment? But hey, their choice!

Holly said...

Columbia will be FUN!!! Just say "Hi!" when you and buttercup blow by me on the bike course. I think your swim wave is just 10 minutes after mine...

Nancy Toby said...

Woo, I didn't see that swim waves were posted, thanks! I'm at 8:15. But I still have to be done in transition, like everybody else, at 7AM.

So that gives us TONS of time for a nice long warmup, right?? Cool! Let's plan on wading down that muddy bank and having a nice leisurely warmup swim!!!

Jonah Holland said...

Nancy, Make sure you look for TRIgirl pink, my friend Kate will be there with you at Columbia.
Out "Iron" training buddies are getting ready for Cor'de too....They'll be heading out to the blue ridge mountains to ride 80 this weekend.
Good luck on your race, can 't wait to read all about it!

Nancy Toby said...

OK, I'll watch, but it's a BIG event with lots of waves, and the start/finish is a ways from the transition area - hard to find anyone!!

Vickie said...

Good luck Nancy! Hope the weather cooperates and you have a PR!

21stCenturyMom said...

I wish I could be there with you - I'm itching for a rematch.

You sound ready to me - 36 is more than 25 and swimming is swmming. No worries.

Unknown said...

You will do great! I will also be doing the triathlon as will... wave 8. Hope to see you out on the course.