Thursday, May 03, 2007

An easy run

This was today's easy run around the neighborhood. You can see where I picked up the pace a bit just to keep my 5K time under a 12 minute per mile pace (37:01), and then slacked off again.

I just want to get this chart into the record books (aka this blog) so that I can remember what an easy pace heart rate looks like for me. Because this (140-150 bpm heart rate) is at least what I need to be doing for my LSD runs later this summer when I'm training for Marine Corps Marathon.

NOT slower.

Although when it's 200 degrees outside and 200% humidity, my heart rate may say otherwise.

4 comments:

Iron Pol said...

Really, that is the MOST you should do on your long training runs. One of the toughest things to do is slow down on long runs.

My training partner always thinks he's screwing up my training because he runs considerably slower than I can run. I keep pointing out that it is great that I have someone to slow me down.

Keep that heart rate under 150 for long runs, and you'll be fine. Improvements WILL come, and faster than if you try to force speed into your body.

Keep up the great training. You're going to do awesome!

nancytoby said...

True!!!! Right in that range. I have a tendency to slack off and start walking way way too much on those long ones, though. Which results in 6 miles of walking at the end of the marathon,which is UGLY UGLY UGLY. I want to RUN it this time around, for a change.

Wrenched Photography said...

show off :p

Holly said...

Nice job Nancy! I had a TT run last night where I had to keep my heart rate at 150. It was much harder than I thought it would be to keep relaxed and easy.

It sounds like you are building some sucessful tools to help later in the season when the worry about "have I done enough" come around, as it always does in a long training period!