Saturday, May 05, 2007

One brick to the good

We had a strong Cambridge Multi-Sport contingent out for the 10K in Cambridge today for the H.O.P.E. 10K for Mental Health, and perfect weather for it, ~2 mph wind, 67*F. I kept thinking I'd love to see Eagleman weather like that, with the Choptank River like a mirror, but alas, it's still over a month away.

Great to see everyone and link up a few more names with faces! It was a nice friendly event and a FAST AND FLAT running course out on country backroads, all except for maybe that last ~0.3 miles looping around the building when I was dying for the finish line!

Thanks to Bill for his sponsorship of this event. Thanks to Chuck for leading 4 of us on a nice little 20-mile bike loop before the race, despite his P.I.T.A. (pulled muscle).

I'm hopeful that I can run as well off the bike at the Columbia Olympic-distance triathlon in 2 weeks! I ran 1:02:20 today, which I think is pretty good for me after a 20-mile bike. (OK, it's a darned good time for me - I was planning to run it easy and started out that way, and still came in within 2 minutes of my PR in my 2nd-fastest 10K to date.) I'm doing the math now, hoping I can do the brutal Columbia 10K run leg within 6-7 minutes of that, under 1:09. I did it in 1:14:11 last year (darned hills!). Then to take off 15 minutes total off my time from last year I need to find another couple minutes on the swim and somehow speed up about 8 minutes on the bike. Maybe find another minute in T1 if I'm super-lucky.

If all that falls into place perfectly I can (maybe) demolish that 3:30 barrier by a few seconds! We'll see. . . .

4 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Was the Choptank River where you swam with the jelly fish? If so, I hope they have migrated by the time you race.

Nancy Toby said...

Yeah, fortunately they don't come out until midsummer, so Eagleman is always clear each year.

But now I would have an advantage since the jellies don't really bother me....

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Good job on the run, Nancy. Or should I call you Speedie! :-)

Jonah Holland said...

Your 10K time on the Columbia Tri from last year is quite impressive considering all the hills on that course....especially the Gatoraid Hill. I can't wait to see how well you do this year....and maybe I'll finally get to meet you at Eagleman!