Tuesday, May 01, 2007

It seemed simple enough starting out

All I wanted to do was ride 20 miles and maintain a cadence around 90 rpm. A nice little ride, right? Is that too much to ask?

Apparently it was. The wind was blowing and gusting up to 20 knots and things got a little ugly there for a while. Then I remembered this was Madame Pele's way of making me strong for whatever Eagleman is going to throw at me in June. Thank you, Madame Pele.


I'd still like to see a little more of that blue line up above the 20 mph level. OK, a lot more. I want to be fast like Linae one day.

I can account for that one big dip in speed and heart rate after the turnaround in the middle of the ride. That was when I was riding slow enough to snarf down my entire little bag of Nemo gummy fish. Yum, yum! Replenishing critical carbohydrate reserves is important!

8 comments:

rachel said...

do your girls know you're eating their nemo gummy fish??? : D

Nancy Toby said...

Heh, I buy them, so I am in control of the Nemo gummy fish stores....

Wrenched Photography said...

Wind sucks, do not every race where I live, period.

Phil said...

heh heh heh... you are now, clearly a certified Garmin Geek. One step below Garmin Grand Geek - all that's left to do is to Garminize a mundane outing.... it's coming... I know it's coming...

Bigun said...

Garmin graphs are the best - I diched my HR moniter a few months back - time for a resergence of HR data for me.

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones...

21stCenturyMom said...

Clearly I'm not a sailor because I thought a knot was 7 mph - not even close. 20 knots is hard enough, though!
If it makes you feel any better my goal is to be able to average 18mph by the end of the summer. Of course that is 18mph regardless of hills but still. I'm way below that now.

Iron Pol said...

Yeah, it's the whole "if it doesn't kill you..." concept.

A short while back I did a 40 mile ride. 20 mile out and back course. Out? Dead into the wind. HR in the high 140s just to maintain 10-12 mph, some of that downhill.

Back? HR was 3-4 bpm lower with speed roughly double (avg like 25 mph). Yeah, the wind bites.

Jenny said...

I just got a bike computer - I could barely keep 11-12 mph going on a slight uphill course (our rail trail is gently down in one direction and back up in the other!) I'm in awe!