Saturday, October 13, 2007

Final longer pre-marathon run

I'm up early for my last longer run before Marine Corps Marathon in 2 weeks. What a contrast to one week ago! Last week - 75-80*F and 99-100% humidity. Today - 46*F and a mere 81% humidity. The plan is to do 10 miles easy and then 5 miles hard. Hopefully I'll get some better ideas about where to dial in my race pace in a couple of weeks.

Hmm, where have my cotton running gloves gone?

Updates later. . . .


WOOOO HOOOOO!!! 15.5 miles done today at an 11:07 min/mile moving pace, in nearly perfect weather, finishing at 59*F and 44% humidity. If I could achieve that on race day, that would get me a 4:52 marathon! BUT I'm quite sure I can't hold that pace for another 10.7 miles, nor hit that pace if I count in some walking at the water stops. But on a perfect day, a sub-5:00 may still be within reach!!! And even on a not-so-perfect day, somewhere in the low 5:xxs is definitely probable. Details from Garmin to follow after a hot bath (nooooo no ice baths for me!)

And here are the charts and numbers that I know you've all been waiting for:


Starting before dawn:

The aid station:

A fine finish!!!!

My training buddy David completed a FULL marathon today in training in 4:37, including about 12 miles running under his usual pace with me. Well done!!! Too many miles for me to risk it two weeks out from the marathon - I'm nursing along a painful little toe and some plantar fascitis that I don't want to aggravate unless it's for the Big Race!!

3 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Good to get that confidence boost - way to get out there and do the work!

yumke said...

Hi, I'm training for MCM as well and have been monitoring your blog over the past few months. Good luck with the final few weeks. After the Chicago scare last week, i'm totally obsessed (who isn't in the running community) with the weather.

Downhillnut said...

Very well done! Enjoy your taper :)