Friday, July 06, 2007

Sweaty

Just got back from jogging 5K around the neighborhood in the heat of the day. Heat Index was 89, which was hot but not too terrible, and still mild compared to what I will be racing with on Sunday. If I didn't have that race coming up and need to get a little more heat acclimated, I would have waited to do it in the cool of the day. If it had been longer I would have carried water. I went at a comfortable pace and wore my heart rate meter and checked it often.

Some idiot was out there running in one of those old-fashioned plastic sweat suits. That's INSANE. All that will do is get a person dehydrated and hyperthermic. I know of no legitimate use for them, with the possible exception of training for the Badwater Ultramarathon.

I think I just rolled my eyes a little and said, "Jeez, good way to get heat stroke."

He didn't answer. Probably too close to passing out to talk.

6 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I remember when I first started running 30 years ago a friend bought me one of those suits. I never took it out of the package.

Andra Sue said...

Funny you mention that because I saw someone last weekend in the heat of the day (in TEXAS) wearing one of those. As I got closer, I realized there was a Bally's logo on it!!! That ridiculous heat-stroke inducing sweat suit was endorsed by a FREAKING GYM! I couldn't believe it. People are such morons.

Comm's said...

That is still one of the most absurd fitness ideas around. Add just under that that stupid ab roller, the wheel with handles to roll out and back. A first class ticket to a bad back that thing is.

booyaa said...

Kinda reminds me of those silver suits we were meant to be wearing in the year 2000, along with food pills and jet cars...

:D

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Was his suit silver? Maybe he thought it looked sexy. We have a woman who runs at noon in full sweats and a hat. Craziness.

UltraMamaC said...

ugh, I see folks at the gym in those things at the gym all the time. Drives me nuts -- I always feel like I'm melting. A long jogbra and shorts feels like too much clothes, I cannot imagine one of those; they may as well wrap themselves in Saran wrap.