Thursday, July 26, 2007

Slow blog

Sorry I've been a bit quiet on this blog - I've been spending far TOO MUCH time on my other blog which is only active during the Tour de France in July. Which is utterly and completely insane right now.

A couple of updates:

My left knee has been very cranky so my long runs are not doing so well in the mileage buildup to Marine Corps Marathon. I've got one 11-miler only and cut down my long run last weekend because it was hurting. I gave it a few days off (Catherine was sick too, so I couldn't get out to run anyway) and I'm back to wearing a knee strap, which seems to help it. A solid six miles today. I stopped to drink water, also to check out some plein air painters (there's a big contest and sale in town all week so painters are everywhere) and also made another very unusual detour - a little fawn with spots was hanging out way too close to the busy highway, all by itself, so I chased it back into the woods a ways. It only went off about 50 feet, didn't seem scared at all, but hopefully that's enough to keep it from becoming roadkill. Overall pace including the stops was still just over 12 min/mile so I was running mostly in the 11 min/mile range.

Then I swam with the new turtleneck swimsuit. First impression: I love it! It has a back zipper that's a bit hard to pull up, and snags my hair, those are the main negatives. Best news yet, though - no gapping and bagging, and a very fast (for me) 500-yard swim - 10:52. It DOES make me fast!!! I'd like to try it out as a trisuit paired with bike shorts, but I'm afraid it may chafe. We'll see.

The minivan is in the shop after being hit by the dizzy old lady, and needs a new rear wheel, but insurance will only pay for a used wheel, and it seems to be taking them a while to find one. Jerks. So it's a big nuisance, but not nearly as big a nuisance as if it were undrivable. Counting my blessings. . . .

Plus we've been having a severe drought. I forget if that means more jellyfish or fewer jellyfish in the fall open water swims.
Oooh, hooray! I just checked - drought apparently means fewer sea nettles! I knew this drought wasn't all bad - that's good news to me!

7 comments:

21stCenturyMom said...

Wait a minute - whose insurance? The repair should be on HER insurance and it should cover whatever you need. That's how liability insurance works. If you are not getting that kind of service you need to file a complaint somewhere. That is absurd.

Nancy Toby said...

It is on her insurance - but they're nickel and diming us. They won't give the full value of a new wheel.

:-(

Caren said...

I don't mean to lecture, but if you see a fawn laying all by itself and seems fine except for not wanting to move, let it be. Its mother has purposefully left it to go forage for a few hours and the fawn's instinct is to stay where momma left it. I realize it was by a busy highway and could be in danger, but I would have let it be - unless it appeared injured or neglected (I know, how can you tell?). Hope the knee feels better.

Nancy Toby said...

I'm completely aware of that. It was not, however, lying down - it was grazing and *walking around* about 8 feet from a stream of heavy traffic on a highway. Directly behind it were some nice quiet woods, into which I shooed it.

Nancy Toby said...

I didn't mention that there was a gorgeous fox about 20 feet away too - that was roadkill. Poor thing. Probably influenced my decision, too.

LBTEPA said...

I don't blame you being fascinated by this year's Tour - hasn't it been riveting? I am heartened by the signs of culture change evinced by the teams, especially Rabobank. Rassmussen has had no positive tests, certainly, but at that level his behaviour must be unimpeachable and I'm glad they've made an example of him. Sorry for the other iders though :(. Hope your knee is better soon

KLN said...

Sounds like a great run, hope the knee continues to improve. And I *love* that turtleneck swim suit -- although I don't think I can quite squeeze into the largest size, which is a bummer.