Monday, July 09, 2007

How I racked up another DNF

I stopped after the 12k run today at Blackwater Duathlon. Those folks were tough and fast - at 1 mile into the run (that I hit at 9:59) the other women looked like they were all a half mile or more in front of me! (Only I and one other woman finished the first 12k at a pace slower than 10 min/mile).

It was just too freaking hot for my state of fitness. I couldn't keep my heart rate under 170 and still jog. Too early in the day to race with a higher heart rate than 170, with 40 miles on the bike and 5 miles in the run yet to go. I had to keep dropping to a walk to get the heart rate under control. Started gettting goosebumps. I finished 12k in 1:23 (12:22 min/mile) with each mile dramatically slower than the last (plots to follow if I download them from my Garmin). I found my bike was the VERY LAST in T1. It actually started to go a little bit dark for a moment there in T1.

I figured that I'd have to walk most of the second run in order to finish. I just didn't have the gumption to want to walk the second run for 5 miles.

Instead I opted to ride my bike out (after I recovered a little) and work the last aid station during the run instead. I had MUCH more fun, and helped the other death marchers make it home.

I might have qualified for the World Championships if I had finished - there were only 3 finishers in my division. (And I hear the duathlon World Championships course in Richmond this year is pretty hilly and brutal.)

But that's racing. There's always next year!

12 comments:

Phil said...

:-(

Oh well - sounds like you made lemonade out of lemons.

Spokane Al said...

You are right. There is next year and the many, many years after.

Born To Endure said...

You always have such a positive attitude..you are right..there's tons of races next year..especially Eagleman eh?

Brent Buckner said...

I vote race to train! Races come and go, but training effects linger.

Andra Sue said...

Awwww...that sounds completely poopie. :-(

At least you got to volunteer and have some fun! Positive attitude all the way.

Fe-lady said...

There is a LIFETIME of races! The hot-humid weather has hit here too- NO it's NOT always a DRY HEAT! I had trouble breathing this a.m. I am sure my heart rate was up, but I did take it easy-and I wasn't racing.
You still got in a great workout it sounds like!

21stCenturyMom said...

Heat is such a killer - worse than hills. I'm glad you found another way to enjoy the race - way to go!

Unknown said...

Volunteering was a lovely thing to do.

Listening to one's body is sometimes the hardest thing to do. Good job.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Chills sounds like you were on your way to heat exhaustion - good thing you bagged it! By any chance did you take any allergy or cold medication that kept your heat elevated? Just wondering. Better to be safe, right?

The Big Cheese said...

Nancy,
I am glad you were smart and knew it was time to step away. I would rather have you all safe and snug, instead of...well you know.

Jonah Holland said...

You made the right choice! Volunteering was a great idea. I'll miss seeing your smiling face here in Richmond though.

Comm's said...

sometimes after hours and months of training we fail to finish. God only knows how I know that, and so to I suppose people who read me, but its not the worst that can happen.

A bad day, a bad race. So what. there are many more races to be had. Your a competitor Nancy through and through. Your heart beats red, white, blue and persistance. Our founding fathers would not expect less from its best.