Saturday, January 26, 2008

I'm addicted

Yesterday I was feeling cranky and tired and headachy. Hmm, I hadn't run in four days. When I finally got a 1500-yard swim done I felt like a new person. Coincidence?



I'm in for a running series put on by a great running club about an hour drive from here, to put some more emphasis on running speed in the year 2008:

This message is generated as confirmation of your recent registration on Active.com. You have been successfully registered for the following:

Registration: 2008 Annapolis Striders Championship Series
Purchase Date: 01/26/08
Category: Registration
Event Date: 02/09/08 - 12/14/08
Name: NANCY TOBY

Important Information Regarding Your Registration

CONGRATULATIONS! You have pre-registered for all of the Annapolis Striders Championship Series Races. On race day, just give the registration volunteers your name and tell them you are a Champ Series pre-registrant. Good luck and stay healthy!



I think I've also decided not to attempt to become a triathlon race official this year, mainly because I'd have to cancel out my sold-out Columbia Triathlon registration (and lose $40) in order to take the clinic - and my schedule for the rest of this race season is pretty full. Maybe next year - I really would like to become qualified to officiate at races. Right now I'm already doing what I can do give back to the sport by managing three different triathlon-related websites, and working with my training buddy Dave on starting up a new local triathlon group - which has taken away a little of my normal blogging time and volume.



Today I was talking to another mom of a girl in Catherine's swim class today who is doing Columbia (Olympic distance) Triathlon for her first triathlon. She says she needs to learn how to swim, and is not quite sure about those "skinsuits". Her husband was completely amazed when I said there are over 1500 entrants, and was in disbelief when I said some people were meeting in this weather regularly for group rides (well, actually not me in the last several weeks, truth be told), and wanted advice on how to teach her to breathe out underwater. Hmmm, yeah, it's 16 weeks away. She looks pretty fit otherwise - I'll bet she can do it if she gets some swimming lessons and doesn't freak out during the swim. It's amazing how fast relatively-fit younger people can get with just a little technique work (and yeah, pretty much all moms of 4-year-olds are a lot younger than I).

No comments: