Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Today's home improvement project

Today I'm working on removing the ugly-@ss, cheap sh!t pastel wallpaper border that has adorned my kitchen ceiling since we bought the place. Clearly the seller was trying to quickly "dress up" the place for quick sale with the unsold rejects from the bottom of the Lowe's discontinued pattern remnant bin. Yeah, somehow they even managed to find matching curtains, which are long, long gone.

It's an awful, tedious process - standing on the kitchen table (we don't have a stepladder), scoring it, spraying it with the toxic remover gel, waiting 15 minutes, peeling it off in shreds, wiping off the excess. If this wallpaper remover gel stuff gets in my eyes I'll be too blind to ever blog again.


I'll be glad to get it done! I already have the paint that's going on the walls when I'm done (beige eggshell finish), and I'm considering putting in a chair rail and some wainscotting. Our dreadful faux-cutting-block Formica kitchen countertop may be next to go.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

When the insurance appraiser came to survey the property he asked if I had any wallpaper on the walls. I told him I had stripped wallpaper once. Never again ...

I feel your pain!

21st Century Mom said...

Too bad they didn't use the stuff that just peels off!

Nancy Toby said...

Yeah, that might have cost $0.25 more....

Run Momma Run said...

Oh honey...next time you decide to embark on a "home improvement project" you must consult the blog gods! Did you kjnow that you could use fabric softener and water mixed in a spray bottle and achieve even better results than the nasty toxic expensive stuff they sell? Let's hope you never have a need for that tidbit of advice again. Wallpaper is EVIL.

Nancy Toby said...

Oooh, well, thanks!! There's ugly border in the bathroom, too ***I HATE BORDER I HATE BORDER*** but hopefully I won't use up all this stuff on the kitchen! I'm almost halfway done!!!

Fe-lady said...

Ohhhh- I LOVE tearing things apart to make away for the "new" stuff!
My walls are so heavily textured that wallpaper would (thankfully) never stick to it...but I peeled off FOUR layers of peel and stick tile off the kitchen floor!
(Too much fun!) The first layer was applied by a black tar-like substance and I think they were asbestos!

TriGirl 40 said...

Ugh - I feel your pain - be thankful they didn't wallpaper the whole wall. Take pictures of what you end up doing. And hopefully all that scoring is building up some swimming muscles.

Ashley Chin said...

Two words - Safety Goggles (or swim goggle would work)! Protect those eyes baby! How would you like to peel off wallpaper - from the CEILING!?!?!? Yep, all the walls (including the ceiling) in our living room and dining room (and 2 of 3 bedrooms) had wallpaper that had been painted over. Wallpaper applied to plaster walls - not a pretty site once removed. Now I know why previous owners just painted over it!!

Vickie said...

Do you hire out? My kitchen is trapped in the 70s and I don't have the energy or time to get that stuff off the walls. And whatever glue they used back then is permanent, since it took almost 2 weeks to get the flocked gold stuff off the dining room walls!

Jonah Holland said...

yep. we had wall paper on the ceiling too! God, why? would someone do that? Used a steamer...since i hate chemicals.... and had hot water dripping in my face. Fun!