I replaced the bent bullhorn on Buttercup today, and realized halfway through the dissassembly that I had promised photos to my faithful blog readers.
Here we go, partly taken apart:
The new bullhorns, pre-installation. I bought them on eBay for about $23 with shipping. The tricky part is that there are at least two diameters of tubing on the market, and not all of them will accommodate the aerobars correctly in the center. These are swept down slightly on the sides, whereas my previous ones were straight across, but otherwise they fit perfectly. Thanks to Flatman for his expert advice!!
The new bullhorns on top, the old ones on the bottom (slightly bent on the right side in the photo). I was glad the new ones had a mark at the center - it would have been difficult to get them exactly even without that. The new ones are a couple centimeters wider than the old.
Today I finally removed the Ironman Florida number from last November as I was cleaning the bike up. Tried to keep all the loose parts together - didn't want to wind up with extra pieces.
One of the aerobar pad bases had gotten a little askew. I was afraid it was bent, but when I took it apart I realized it was quite a simple adjustment to alter the yaw angle on the aeropad. I turned both of them inward slightly to more correctly follow the line of my forearms.
The trickiest part was getting the cables all straight. I had to remove and replace one of the aerobars twice to get it all bending correctly. Here's one wrong version:
Finally done (notice it's getting dark outside!). All the bars are re-wrapped, the aerobars are slightly closer together than they were, the aeropads turn inwards slightly now, and the new bullhorns are in place with the brake handles aligned straight. Quite a number of small changes - it will probably be a couple of hundred miles before I'm absolutely certain that everything is correctly positioned and I'm confident it won't fall apart on the road!