Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Keeping busy

My girls are still sick at home today, so I'm using my time productively online - spending money on entry fees! "My name is Nancy, and I'm a raceholic."

I signed up for the new Olympic-distance triathlon that I'm really excited about in Annapolis, Maryland on September 9th. The course hasn't been finalized, but it looks like the swim will depart from the Naval Academy grounds - either a point-to-point across the Severn River, or a loop in Back Creek. I'm familiar with the run course from the Annapolis Ten Miler, and it's going to be brutal! Up and over the Severn River Bridge twice, which is sailboat height, then straight up and down the vertical riverbank on the opposite side (maybe this year, just once, I'll be able to actually run up it and not walk it). Ouch!

I also signed up for the Blackwater Traverse Duathlon in July, which will also be a killer! It will probably be about 200*F and 200% humidity that day. It's an ITU World Long Course Duathlon Championship qualifier, which means a total of 20 kilometers running, and 73 kilometers (that's 45 miles) on the bike. Plus it goes over that awful section of washboard road! But hey, how often do I get to compete in a world championship qualifier just 45 minutes from home? Not that I'll actually qualify, or anything. It's going to be no fun seeing all those other folks finished and wearing their medals when I roll in off the bike course and I still have eight sweltering NO SHADE kilometers left to run. . . .


But: I'll be able to stay at home and sleep in my own bed for both of these, so that will give me the famous Home Court Advantage, right?? I'll need it!!!

4 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I agree with you on the home court advantage. Nothing beats sleeping in one's own bed!

21st Century Mom said...

Gosh that sounds like fun! We're kind of a masochistic lot, aren't we?

Fe-lady said...

I need to get my butt in gear and enter my races for this season before they close out! I am just lazy I guess....

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I'm almost as bad...I haven't started sending in the fees, but I've blocked out weekends leading up through June. Entry fees are next.