Sunday, August 13, 2006

I can run!

After my weak half marathon "run" (3:01:38) at Steelhead last weekend, I was a little concerned about the state of my running. I haven't done much in the way of long runs this summer, concentrating instead on my cycling and swimming.

So today after a warmup, I let out the reins a little on the track. Ran a pretty solid mile - a little too warm for a really fast effort, but not shuffling along at the marathon-pace training gait that I've been using lately.

9:23. One mile PR by 14 seconds.

Whew! I'm still on track for Ironman Florida.

Which leaves me wondering if I could finally run a sub-30 5K now, but that has to be on the back burner for a few months, unless I can find a very handy one that I can fit in my training schedule easily.

I'd also like to lose about 10 more pounds before Ironman Florida as well, which would cut off about 20 seconds per mile for me without increased effort. I've been trying to avoid planning any events out past Ironman Florida, but road races seem so simple and easy to do compared to triathlons! It will be interesting to do a few this coming winter and see how I can push the pace.

1 comment:

Habeela said...

Yay for being able to run. I haven't tested out my running ability yet. Tomorrow will be the day.