Saturday, July 09, 2005

Women's Distance Festival


This morning for a little workout I ran a local 5K: the Women's Distance Festival in Annapolis, Maryland. It was on a lovely, but hilly 2-loop course not far from the Naval Academy, through a residential neighborhood bordering the Severn River. I pushed hard most of the way but the heat forced me to walk a bit on the second loop. I ended up with my second-fastest 5K time and came in at 31:49 watch time with progressively slowing splits of 9:58, 10:16, 10:29, and 1:05 for the final 0.1 mile. And I also had the fun of hanging out with *jeanne* for a few minutes!

I'm considering doing another one tomorrow morning! One or two road races per month is good for me to keep my speedwork up (such as it is!).

Hmm, I see that the 2006 Florida Half Ironman, scheduled for May 21, 2006 in Orlando has just opened their entries. Do I want to tackle this race or take on the Eagleman "Ironman 70.3" course again? Decisions, decisions! I do like the idea of a non-wetsuit lake swim better than tackling the Choptank currents again. Plus a flat bike and run course.... and I see that they were generous with their finishing times last year, recording finishers up into the nine-hour range - just like me! Maybe I will go for it - and try to beat that eight-hour thing this time around. Of course it will be hot and humid, but that's okay with me. Anyone else considering this one?

5 comments:

tri-mama said...

Boy that is a tempting precursor to IMFL. Then I could get over to swim in the ocean as well. Can I justify 2 trips to Florida in one year?

Comm's said...

Nancy that is just wonderful that you would like to do two 5k's in the same weekend. I love to do local races they have so much going for them. It makes you appreciate the big ones more when you get to them.

Glad your back on the 1/2 IM bus. NOt long ago you were considering never doing another.

Holly said...

Way to go on your 5K today. I'd love to see you break 30 minutes this early in the season. Heck you have months to go before your Marathon Fall...

As far as IM Florida 2006, what is all this wishy-washyness?? I thought you had already made up your mind on an IM in 2006? SMILE - hint-hint-push push ...

Downhillnut said...

Great job on the 5k! I've also heard lots of good things about running as many 5ks as you can squeeze in, to practice fast racing strategy. I think that's the next way I'm looking at improving my 10k time - by racing some 5ks in training.

vj said...

Whoa, two 5Ks in a weekend? You maniac! I'd just be worried that you won't have enough recovery time. Great race! You go!