Now keep in mind also that I'm fatter and slower than most and old (48) and I'd be hard up against the cutoffs, even if I trained hard for the next 16 months. I sure don't want to take this on and end up with a DNF, especially considering that I did an Olympic and a half ironman in the last 2 months and ended up past the cutoffs for both of them.
So I think maybe I should have some objective performance standards that I should meet beforehand before I stick that needle in. What do you think they should be, for someone taking on their first IM with still a year of training left to complete?
I was thinking of something like these - some combination of these, perhaps complete at least 2 from the list before I make that plunge:
- Finish a marathon under 5:15
- Finish a century under 6:30 riding time
- Finish a 2-mile pool swim under 1:40
- Finish a 1500-m open water swim under 40:00
- Finish an Olympic distance under 3:30
- Finish a half IM distance under 7:00
What would YOU plug in for numbers there? What would you recommend?