Friday, September 07, 2007

Ready or not

I have the inaugural Annapolis Triathlon on Sunday. It has all the potential for being a fantastic race venue, but I'm still a bit concerned.

Swimming - I did a short swim today including one 500-yard set in 10:38 with a pull buoy, which I think may be a pull buoy PB. Cool! I'm very concerned about the sea nettles since it may not be a wetsuit race, though. They're thick this time of year. I have the anti-sea-nettle lotion ready. I'm also considering wearing running tights and some kind of long-sleeved top (or even pantyhose on my arms) during the swim if wetsuits aren't allowed. They may slow me down a bit, but not having to be distracted by sea nettle stings will balance that out.

Setup - it's a 2-transition race and they're not allowing cars down by the docks, so we have to ride our bikes there to set up in T1 from the football stadium (T2) tomorrow. Normally I'd never consider riding my bike through downtown Annapolis since it's so crowded and congested and the streets are narrow. This sounds like an adventure unto itself.

Hills - I've run the hills in Annapolis many times before and it's always been ugly.

The Bike - the shop is inspecting my bike today and they called to say that the chain ring was installed incorrectly. WTF!?? I didn't like the service that I got at that other bike shop when it was there, and now I found out months and months later that they did something ELSE wrong? Bah! I'll pick it up tomorrow and hope it gets through the race okay. . . .

Weather - it's looking pretty good! ~72*F in the morning, high humidity as always, chance of showers and high of 85*F in the after noon. It may be a hot run, but that's to be expected.

Now to think about packing up all my stuff. . . .


Update: Woot! I just took a second look at the course maps and they've re-drawn the run course! They have taken out the wicked hills over the Severn River bridge and up and down the riverbank on the north side. That's good news for me - those are nasty inclines that always reduce me to a trudging demoralized wreck! I may actually have a good chance of RUNNING the run on this new course! (Of course everyone else will too - I guess I have to count on my familiarity with jellyfish as my only advantage tomorrow!)

2 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Good luck Nancy. It is a good thing that you seem to thrive on adversity.

Brent Buckner said...

Have a great event - fun to be at an inaugural!