Saturday, September 22, 2007

At Fort Wilderness Campground at WDW

I don't have wifi at our RV site, but we do up at Pioneer Hall next to the transition area for tomorrow's Walt Disney World Triathlon. I'm sitting in the rented golf cart typing on my laptop (excuse typos!) as I watch the cast of the Hoop Dee Doo Review hang out on the porch opposite me and chat with passersby. They're in period Victorian/western costume with big skirts and hats and buckskin jackets and it looks horribly hot! Ah, their show just started and they headed inside, where presumably it's air-conditioned.

We're in a campsite just about right in the middle of the whole campground. My race number is #68 and my bike is about 2 racks from the bike exit, perfect spot so I have almost no run through transition with my bike. The swim looks fine, although I did take the free nose clip so I don't breathe in amoebas and die from meningitis. Maybe. I may tear it off when it drives me crazy and leave it at the bottom of Bay Lake, however.

I start in the first wave at 0730 and should(!) be done by 11:30 I hope - under 4 hours with a 35-mile bike leg. We'll see. I'm not likely to push it tomorrow if the course gets crowded or it gets too hot outside. Hope to see you sometime tomorrow, Linae and Shawn! Thanks for coming over!! And Kathy and Molly, if you're reading, it was great to see you and hang out even though it was much too short.

Today we had a fairly quiet day - did triathlon check-in, then we rented a pontoon boat and took the girls on a tour of Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. Then we took the resort launch over to the Magic Kingdom but didn't go in - we just took the monorail around to the Polynesian Resort and had an early dinner in the snack bar there. Then back via monorail and boat launch to the campground and that was enough of an excursion for today! Maybe some swimming pool time this evening. It's hot and muggy and overcast but only occasionally sprinkling.

The bike is racked, I just have to do final prep of my clothes and then up at 5AM tomorrow to make the first swim wave!! I'll be glad to be finished in the so-called 'cool of the day' (for Florida).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a great race Nancy!

21stCenturyMom said...

Good luck on your race, Nancy. Above all else have fun!

Spokane Al said...

With your experience in battling jelly fish I would think that amoebas and meningitis are practically non issues.

Good luck on your race in the am.

Downhillnut said...

You must be over half way through by now - sending you some strong thoughts!

Jonah Holland said...

Can't wait to hear about the race. I have fond memories of "camping" in Fort Wilderness when I was a child. I hope your kids have just as many fond memories as I do.