Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Starting the job

I started two small oil paintings yesterday.

One is the "vine house" with the wisteria; the other is a photo of a cyclist that I liked from an online friend (just a plain side view with some attractive fields in the background). I haven't done any triathlon-related paintings before - this is an experiment. (By popular demand, I'm planning to do "Red Door" on the actual Paint the Town day if the foliage doesn't fill in and obscure everything).

There are two shows coming up I want to try showing some paintings at - both in mid-June, one at Eagleman (the cyclist) and the other at our local Paint the Town day on June 14 (some local ones).

But I have to get going on them in order to get them done in time - the drying process can take a month!

These are just the initial sketches and background work - all the outline sketch plus most of the preliminary painting will be painted over before I'm done! And sure, I can do your triathlon portrait too - for the right price!!





Update: Instead of doing a workout today while the girls were in school, I did some more work on the background of the cyclist painting. It's a small painting (8' x 10") with a lot of detail that's going to take a lot of work with the teensy tiny brushes. I may have to fade the middleground a bit with some washes later, I'll have to wait and see if it's too vivid and distracting.

6 comments:

Lori said...

I sure love the colors in the cyclist painting!
lori

Carrie said...

Nice start! I admire those who can paint in oils.

Fe-lady said...

You make me want to do something creative and artistic!
Nice work!

Marie-Claude said...

Very nice, Nancy! You're really good.
mc

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I've never done much oil painting except those paint by number things as a kid. Looks very nice!!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I like the bike ones