Saturday, August 16, 2008

Slump City

Despite the inspiring stories I'm seeing on the Olympics every night, I've hit a slump. The kids are running fevers and coughing, and I woke up inexplicably sore all over like I was coming down with something.

I also doubt that I'm going to go to the National Senior Games next year. As you might recall, I tried to qualify in cycling time trials in Maryland but didn't make it in. I could attempt it in New Jersey or Delaware in the next couple of months, but entries are officially closed for both of those and they would require from 4 to 10 hours of driving for less than 45 minutes in the saddle. The Delaware Time Trials are on a Wednesday, too - W.T.F.? Do they think we all retire and are responsibility-free on weekdays at age 50? There's always the road races, but in order to qualify I'd have to take some huge chunks of time off my 5k/10k PRs. I've already qualified in triathlon, but I don't think I want to travel all the way to California just to do one single sprint triathlon when I probably won't be competitive in it.

On the flip side, in another 10 days or so the girls will be starting ALL DAY SCHOOL. 6.5 HOURS of FREE TIME every weekday. How delightful! I can start putting in some serious training time then, and I'm looking forward to it.

Until then, I'll be resting on the couch with NBC blaring on the TV. After all, I've always thought the Olympics wasn't about awarding the medal to that 1 exceptional individual in 6.7 billion people that makes it to the top of the podium. The Olympics are about providing some inspiration to the other 6,717,230,455 (give or take a few) of us. Bring it on!

3 comments:

Fe-lady said...

Feel better...and hope the girls are well enough to begin their first days of full day school next week!

(Ahhh...I can almost hear you breathe that sigh of relief!)

Fe-lady said...

You said ten days...sorry!
I KNOW they will be all better by then!

LBTEPA said...

Get well soon!