Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Swimming time trial

I finally found my old copy of Swim Workouts for Triathletes that had fallen down behind the other books on the bookshelf. So today I decided to give myself their recommended swimming standardized test: 3 times 300 yards.

I finished them in:

6:39
6:44
6:47

which I thought was pretty decent for me, an average pace of 2:14 per 100 yards. Slightly slower than my fastest wetsuit-aided triathlon swim, but within their standard of no more than 15 seconds spread between the sets.

Then I go back and look at the charts in the book and they all stop at 2:00 per 100 yards at the slow end. How deflating. It's like going to the running charts and having the slowest running pace in their charts at 9:00 min/mile, faster than all but my very fastest standalone miles.

Well, it gives me a benchmark. Guess I've got some work to do this winter.

3 comments:

MamaMaven said...

I like this one that goes to 3:00.

Glad to hear I am not the only one who feels slow when I read stuff.

MamaMaven said...

Oops, here is the link http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swim/tno_swimpace_chart.asp

21stCenturyMom said...

I swam 10 x 100 today on the 2:20. It didn't kill me but it wasn't a walk in the park. Swimming is hard!