Sunday, May 03, 2009

Rainbow cupcakes

Inspired by the rainbow cake made at Omnomicon, we attempted to make rainbow cupcakes today by the same method - just to see if it would work. The hardest part was finding the concentrated gel food colorings, but I finally located them at the largest grocery store in our area. Then the fun began with 6 bowls of colored cake batter (just using a standard cake mix):


Dropped in rainbow order into the center of cupcake thingies:


The final batter appearance:


The view after baking:


And much to our surprise, slicing one open revealed a perfect inverted rainbow! Hurrah! (Now I wonder how it would look with uncolored batter to start and end the rainbow so it would have white in the middle instead of the solid purple center):


The most important part of cleanup is having an assistant standing by to lick the frosting off the beaters:

8 comments:

Kewl Nitrox said...

Excellent. They look like radioactive cupcakes!

Nancy Toby said...

Only the blue and green parts contain radium for phosphorescence.

SToby said...

In my own childhood I remember the batter always tasted better than the cake. Licking it off the beaters was the second best way of getting it -- the best was off a rubber spatula, the few times my mother allowed it.

LBTEPA said...

FABULOUS!

ShirleyPerly said...

Those are the coolest cupcakes I've ever seen!!

Carrie said...

Those are awesome!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

very cool. I see cupcakes in my future!

Holly said...

Those cup cakes came out FANTASTIC! Very Very Cool! You are my only "Poison Ivy Killing - Rainbow Cupcake Making" Friend and you ROCK!