Sunday, October 14, 2007

Not planning the 2008 season, sort of

I think there should be a moratorium on planning the next year's athletic events until at least the Halloween candy has been eaten.

I'm just saying.

Except if you're going to participate in some of the Big Triathlons, you are compelled to enter them up to a year in advance. Which sucks.

I've got some events in mind, some I've had to enter already if I wanted to get in, entered one marathon just for the early entry discount (and I'm not fully committed to it, I can always switch to the half marathon), and some I've already decided against (another Ironman attempt because of insufficient training time and insufficient desire, Big Sur marathon because of the excessive travel time for me).

I'm still mentally casting around for a major focal point to my training next year, though. I'd like some big event that I can get excited about. (Ideas for me??) Or maybe I should just get excited about doing better at the same old nearby events. Hmmm. Whatever it is, it's got to be FUN. (Which also precludes an ultramarathon for me, btw, and hitting both feet with a sledgehammer - same difference).

7 comments:

Julia said...

I'm really really thinking about coming over for 70.3 Vineman in California. It's a Tri Alliance event for next year AND my Dad lives 10 miles away. Why don't you sign up for that?

21stCenturyMom said...

The only plan I have right now is to do fewer races. I may also do Vineman 70.3 because it is a focus event for my race club and it would be a good first HIM. And I might do IMFL but if so I will be glad to have spent 1 year trainng.

Nancy Toby said...

Awww, Vineman is one I'd really love to do, but I don't think I can in '08. It's just too much travel time right now to get to California - that adds another two whole days onto the trip that my husband would probably have to take off of work. :-(

But I'm thinking about it...

Downhillnut said...

Talk someone into doing a Muddy Buddy with you. It's not BIG enough to be your 08 signature event, but it would be FUN.

A Grand Prix series goal can keep you training and racing for months! Set your sights on ALL of one series, or even 80%.

My 08 race plans are kind of fuzzy right now, but I have a few ideas of how I'm going to change things up.

Nancy Toby said...

I'd love to do a Muddy Buddy!! But I don't have a mountain bike - no mountains or even hills here. I've been wanting to do the one in Orlando for a while...
Hmm, maybe the one in Richmond!!!

We don't have any series close enough to do many of them... maybe in Annapolis, which is about an hour away, that's an idea...

Great ideas!!

Melissa said...

I agree about not planning until after halloween. I know what three Sprint Tris I am doing next year, but not really going to train until after Jan. 1. I'm working out now to lose weight and just get in better shape overall. Keep up the AWESOME work. Your posts always encourage me.

Jonah Holland said...

Nancy, I really want you to think about IMFL in 2009 again. I've decided that is gonna be my year. And, our team will adopt you I promise, there will be about 20 of us doing it then.
ALso, I hear Richmond Muddy Buddy is great. Many friends who say it is their favorite race. We'd love to have you come down for it.